What's better HDSLR's or MiniDV Camcorders?

kitson

Member
I'm an aspiring film-maker. I saving some money for a video camera but I'm not sure if I should buy a Canon T2I or Canon XL2.
 
I'll second that. If you have a sub $8000 budget and your goal is film-making it probably makes the most sense to go with a HDSLR. I recommend comparing the features of several HDSLR camera options to figure out which is best for you. Definitely consider Panasonic Gh1 and Gh2. You can get a hacked Gh1 for around $300-400 on eBay and a Gh2 for under a $1000. Check on the forums for lens recommendations. Depending on what you're trying to do, a couple used fast prime lenses will be a lot more useful than the kit lens that comes with the camera.
 
T3i, GH2, or used HVX200 (which I guess is, in part, MiniDV). All those will run about the same cost kitted up for equivalent flexibility.

There are few good reasons to spend money on a standard def camera these days.
 
It really depends on what kind of work you want to do, and what your work habits & skill levels are.

Long form documentary, for example, would be easier with a camcorder that shoots HDV to tape or XDCam to disks. You also have to consider things like the recording time, the ergonomics, sound, lens choices, archiving, just to name a few.
 
Think also about an older HVX200. You could start shooting tape, move to P2. That clunky camera can still produce a very film-like image in the right hands and is super flexible if you receive offers for work that requires zooming, etc.

That all said, the look of the GH2 hacked and set up well is just to die for, and would likely still be cheaper even with a few lenses.
 
It's also worth pointing out that the XL2 is standard def. This is the 21st century, SD is soooo 20th century.
 
Back
Top