What is the largest % value acceptable in enlarging a 1080p clip for 1080p output

I need to enlarge a couple of clips for cropping purposes.
Does anyone have experience in doing this and know what the % limit would be before the footage is noticeable on 1080p TV screen for HD broadcast.

The footage is shot in 1920 x 1080 25p and will be output at the same resolution 1920 x 1080 25p Apple ProRes 422 HQ

Thanks
RJ
 
Depends what camera you are working with. For me personally, I will never enlarge an image at all. I'm not sure in what case you would need to enlarge an image to crop it.
 
I'll usually go to around 150% depending on what ISO was used, the focus, etc. That seems to be the point at which the footage starts to noticeably degrade when viewing the final edit.
 
Thanks Stefancolson
That is what I am seeing upon playback on the computer screen at 100% viewing.
The tests that I have done. I did push it to 175% and started to see some blocking of color in shadow.

I will play it safe and limit to 150%.
Hope all is well
RJ
 
Test if you need to go there. The "I never enlarge" guy - lucky dude. There are times it's a life saver. 10, 20%, no prob. Get up around 130 you might want a noise reduction pass followed by some sharpening. Some shots work better than others. Fast cuts better than long scenes.

If you can afford it, get a black magic card ($175 or so new?) and a 20-ish HDMI TV ($200 or less these days) and add it to your edit bay. Nothing like really seeing what your output will be... and if your cam has HDMI, you can take it on set.
 
Again, yes, it really depends on the camera and the material. In my experience, closeups fare a lot better than wide shots when enlarging. Basically, you kinda have to judge shot-by-shot, which is why the good monitoring suggested above is a good idea. In addition to earlier suggestions, another tool to help with this is color space smoothing when uprezzing. The Panny HVX/HPX170/HMC150 pixel-shifted cameras can't take much enlarging of wide shots in post; the HPX250/AC130/160, in a few brief experiments, can take a lot more... as would be expected...
 
Back
Top