What is the difference between these three brands?

Zachadoodle

Well-known member
What is the difference between fujifilm, Panasonic, and Sony? What is the better of the three and more suited for filmmaking or which one is more suited for photography. I'm curious.
 
That’s entirely subjective.

I’d argue that “better suited to filmmaking” and “better suited to photography” are more about the camera’s form factor and individual feature set than brand. After that, it’s really a matter of personal preference on LOG profiles and what each manufacturer’s sensors bring to the table.
 
Sony has the best AF, lens selection, and features. They do everything well but are criticized for having a too clinical look.
Fuji caters to retro photography bodies and looks. Their continuous AF isn't good but this doesn't matter for consumer type photography they're marketing to.
Panasonic used to be the gateway to indy budget filmmaking but Blackmagic has squeezed them out of that niche, although if you need AF they still fulfill a role.
 
Last edited:
Zach, since you're adverse to rigging photo cameras for shooting video, I recommend that you look at the video cameras from those respective companies.

The forthcoming Fujifilm GFX Eterna will probably be outside of your budget, plus you'd have to get medium format lenses, although the GFX sensor is a fair bit smaller than the various film medium format sizes. I think all the Panasonic cinema cameras are S35mm, and Sony cinema cameras are all full frame these days, but you could opt for an old S35mm F55 or FS7. I think Canon is full frame these days as well, but you could get an old S35mm C300m2.
 
Back
Top