What am I missing?

daveswan

Well-known member
I still havn't got a 5DII yet, I want to make sure I can use it first (£2100 is a bit much for a pet rock :)).

Well I downloaded a few clips from the dpreview test and I've been playing with them, specificly I tried pulling them into QT Pro and exporting at 24 fps, and 25 fps, using a variety of DNxHD resolutions, then pulling the clips into Avid to fool around with, and even tried using Sorrenson to make BD footage (I haven't got a BD drive or player yet). Everything I tried worked as expected with no glitches that I could see.

Using the QT Movie Inspectre showed the original footage at 30 fps as expected, and the converted footage at 24 or 25 fps, also as expected.

So, it really can't be that easy shurley? What have I missed?
Cheers,
Dave
 
That pretty much is it if you are conforming to 24... You get the slow-mo look which lots like. The problem starts when you have dialog or want realtime 24 frame footage out of your 30 original. There are ways around this but much more intensive and time consuming.

Twixtor for AE, general timewarping techniques and other packages methods can get some pretty good results:)
 
Thanks Brad, but the footage didn't look slo-mo, but as there wasn't any dialogue I could well be mistaken. There is another clip with dialogue right at the end, so I think I'll have a look at that.
Cheers,
Dave
 
I'm not sure. There could be a stutter, but I'm not sure if it's the footage or the computer having trouble with the playback.
It's late evening here, so I'll have another look sometime tomorrow when I get home from work.
I'm not really familiar with all the varieties of puldown, it's not something I've had to worry about in PAL. Perhaps someone who knows will be able to shed some light, meanwhile I'm going to bed :)
Cheers,
Dave
 
Its pretty easy to tell if it stutters as it looks quite bad. A quick look at the mp4 or whatever you could post on vimeo would be easy to give an answer to.
 
Well, yes, now I compare them, in Avid, I think there is stuttering, though I wasn't sure it wasn't just the difference between 24 and 30 fps.
Bum:crybaby:
Dave
 
I tried a similar thing last night with my new 5D MKII. Using Compressor to convert the footage to 720 24P DVC Pro HD, the stutter looks terrible.

I made up my own Compressor preset at 720 30P (29.97 actually) DVC Pro HD and the footage looks great, no stuttering, looks smooth. I am keeping the 1080 files as archive but since I will be cutting with my HPX170, DVC Pro HD works great. What I haven't figured out is if I need to shoot 720 30P with the HPX or if I can figure out a way to mix the frame 30P and 24P frame rates successfully? How do you integrate 5D MKII with HPX170 most successfully?

Dan
 
Sorry, as I said I don't have a 5DII yet, but I do have an HXV. The clips I was experimenting with I downloaded from the DPReview test. may try putting the two together, but I don't work anywhere near your level Dan, just a humble amateur enthusiast me, with no prospect of being anything else.
Dave
 
I think conversion quality is dependant on the nature of the footage - ie pans, steadicam and moving subjects challenge conversions

-interpolating software is a must not just frame dropping software

Conincedentally Ive got my b camera (EX1 !) on30FPS for an easy editing life

I dont see the need to retime apart from specific end uses where the player does not function correctly at 30FPS

To retime for aesthetics is a no go IMO

S
 
Fair do, it was largely in the nature of an experiment anyway, converting to 24 fps was only one option, I was also trying to go to 25, in case I ever needed to put my footage onto a PAL dvd.
Anyway, there's no 1080 30p project in Avid MC, the nearest is 29.97 ugh!, but there are 1080 24p and 25p, hence the retiming experiment.
Looking at the BD compression settings in Sorrensen, there's 24p and 60i as well as 25p, but again no 30p argh!

Dave
 
Back
Top