What about the rest of us?

Green Hornet

Veteran
The hvx200 sounds like everything I want in a camera.
It got me thinking of creative ways to purchase , and justify it.
At the end of the day, I am realizing it may be out of reach for me.

For close to $10,000 or even $7,000, I realistically would need to be able to capture, edit and deliver to justify that kind of money spent.
It seems as if I would only be able to capture.

That being said, is panasonic going to make something that will compeate with sony (like they initially said) in the $3,000 range?

I am ready to buy, and liquidating anything I can for this next purchase, but realistically I can only spend between $2,000 to $5,000 on my next camcorder purchase, realizing I will need software and other computer upgrades as well.
 
the total $$ for the hvx is going to be less than people are estimating. That will be the next big buzz here in a few weeks...
 
Green Hornet said:
I can only spend between $2,000 to $5,000 on my next camcorder purchase, realizing I will need software and other computer upgrades as well.

I know what you mean. I just bought my DVX 100a in october and now the HVX is comming out and it's everything I wanted.

I don't know if I should sell my dvx and raise some money for the HVX. I'm guessing that it would sell for 2800 - 3000(my dvx), and thats still 2000$ to go if it's $5000 (but it seems to cheep considering all of its awsomeness features).
 
To some of us guys not old but not young either. Things to me are in some ways getting cheaper.

I remember on one of my first film school project. I was to shot a 60 second spot on 16mm, either a commerical or psa. My project cost me $1,000 bucks because we had to have a release print.


I think myself and my film school grads would have killed for a DVX back then. Plus all the NLE that's out there.

When I moved I came across a p.o. for a media 100, with a 8gig hard drive and an a extra 64 (whatever it was back then) of memory was around $5,000 each. The whole system was like $35,000. The p.o. was dated almost ten years ago.

A guy from Avid even told me you'll see a boom in editing that eveyone can have when memory and drive storage goes up in size.

Gee, and think about 35mm its between $500 to $600 bucks (stock, lab, transfer) just for ten minutes.
 
Just work with what you have and perfect your skills and when you're ready, the prices should hopefully decrease then you're on your way.
 
Re:Why not just get the Sony Green Hornet?

Re:Why not just get the Sony Green Hornet?

John_Hudson said:
Why not just get the Sony Green Hornet?

The sony is not the quality I need,or want plus it falls apart when you try to edit it. I definately want a panasonic product, and from early reports, they hyped that they had something for the price of the sony...now it suddenly jumped to "under $10,000"

Yeah it is nice, but realistically out of my league if I have to buy an edit system, and p2 cards as well.
 
This new one will be out of my price point for sure; kind of a bummer. BUt, when Im ready to make the leap to the next level maybe there'll be a whole nutha' level of camera for me to choose from.
 
The one big variable is....

Does it come bundled with a P2 card?

P2 cards will be dropping in price over the next few years...probably VERY quickly.

If it doesn't come with a P2 card and costs 10 grand, it's outrageously expensive for any 1/3'' CCD camera, especially one with a fixed lens. With the added 2,000 dollars for a P2 card, the price just isn't justifiable.

If it does come with a P2 card and costs...say...6 grand, then its really four thousand for the camera, two thousand for the card. And the price of the cards will fall, meaning the camera will drop relatively quickly in price.

None of us know enough to label it as "too expensive" yet...we don't know its complete feature set, what it comes bundled with, or even the price. That said, I think my dvx is going to be with me for a while. I doubt I'll be able to come close to affording this camera. I hope I'm proven wrong, ough.
 
I think by the time the technology / price issues settle then I would have worn out my DVX have purchased new hardware to handle HD without any issues and by the camera of the day . . . even though HVX would be nice a nice choice ;)
 
Well as I've posted elsewhere, I've heard a rumour from a dealer of it having a tape transport as well. I can't wait for NAB

Aaron
 
Aza said:
Well as I've posted elsewhere, I've heard a rumour from a dealer of it having a tape transport as well. I can't wait for NAB

Aaron

I don't think a DVCPRO tape transport mechanism could physically be housed in a DVX-sized camera.

And if P2 cards are going to be (at least at first) the only way to record video from the HVX, it would be commercially unthinkable to launch a new product without including a card... wouldn't it ?
 
Plus if that was a real mockup under that the veil and its the size of the DVX. I can't see it having room for slots and a tape drive.
 
Gary_McClurg said:
Plus if that was a real mockup under that the veil and its the size of the DVX. I can't see it having room for slots and a tape drive.

Yeah, in fact, I can't see much of anything in that pic. ;)
 
Green Hornet said:
For close to $10,000 or even $7,000, I realistically would need to be able to capture, edit and deliver to justify that kind of money spent.
It seems as if I would only be able to capture.
Ah, but therein lies the beauty of the P2 system -- for editing, the currently existing editors already work with it (speaking of FCP-HD and Avid Express HD). So if you're already using FCP, you can already edit the P2/HD content. And for capture -- you don't capture. The camera does that for you. So all you need to do is plug the camera into the computer via firewire or USB (assuming the camera offers that), or plug the P2 card straight into your laptop, or buy a cheap (under $100) P2 card reader adapter for your desktop. No deck is necessary! So for practically no more cost than the camera itself, you will be able to capture and edit.

Now, deliver is another question. How do you intend to deliver HD content at all? That's a big question mark because there is no HD delivery medium in common use. If you're planning on delivering on DVD, then having used the P2 camera involves no additional hassle or expense to make that DVD than any DV or HDV camera would.

Monitoring is another issue -- an HD monitor is not cheap, but you'd need some way to monitor whether you went with HD, HDV, or SD. You can get a 26" CRT HDTV for under $600, but obviously you get what you pay for.

So don't write it off yet, I think the P2 camera may not be as expensive to develop programming with as you may have thought. But no, it's not going to be in the FX1's price range. The Z1, maybe, but not the FX1.
 
Back
Top