Watch the First Sony F3 S-Log Footage!!

IN my personal opionion, I don´t like supersensitive cameras. I'm not interested in shooting with street lights or with moonlight. I like setting up the lights myself or just shoot in daylight. With such super sensituve cameras (F3, alexa, new red MX...) it's becoming a real problem to shoot in bright daylight. The ammount of filters you have tu put in front of the lens is immense, and this degrades the image quality and makes the camera heavier. Or I´m forced to shoot at t22... better to shoot with 1/3" then lol!

ND Filters with more than 1.2 density start showing problems because it´s hard to get a pure neutral density with no color cast when making them so dark. We also start seeing far red or IR contamination. If we need to use more than 1 ND filter then we can get reflections, and need a heavier matte box to accomodate more trays.... Imagine a shoot in death valley or the Boneville salt flats at ISO 1600!!! Jeeeesszz I'm going to need a ND 3.3! That´s 11 stops of ND reduction to be able to shoot at something like T4!

yup. These new cams are perfect for me b/c 800iso or 1000 is just about my limit. I don't need or want much more for exactly the reasons mcgregor said. I just shot a commercial last week with the red mx in exterior day sunlight.... And my 1st had forgotten to pack my NDs. Needless to say it was almost game over! My lens was at T16-22 split. Even when the filters were brought to set, we needed so much! My dailies had discernable color shift and we had to color it out. Not fun.

I like the idea of interchangable sensors, like switching film stocks!
 
wish S-Log would have came out 3 weeks ago, just finished a 3D feature with 2x F3s and had to use cine gama. Could have really used the extra DR...
 
I finally got around to watching this and I am thoroughly impressed. At first I kind of dismissed this camera, not anymore and luckily I know a DP who just got his in. So now I can get some hands on treatment and really see how I feel about it.
 
Thanks Guys! I haven't ever shot with anything this light sensitive, so the problems that come with the territory are not apparent to me. Thanks for the perspective. All that said, it looks like my Hacked GH1 will have a use if I get the super light sensitive FS100. Yay GH13!!! (lol) :)
 
yup. These new cams are perfect for me b/c 800iso or 1000 is just about my limit. I don't need or want much more for exactly the reasons mcgregor said. I just shot a commercial last week with the red mx in exterior day sunlight.... And my 1st had forgotten to pack my NDs. Needless to say it was almost game over! My lens was at T16-22 split. Even when the filters were brought to set, we needed so much! My dailies had discernable color shift and we had to color it out. Not fun.

Why not increase the shutter speed a little bit (as well as close down the lens, but not as much) ? Does a few stops increase in shuttle speed look that much different?
 
Why not increase the shutter speed a little bit (as well as close down the lens, but not as much) ? Does a few stops increase in shuttle speed look that much different?

Did NASA give us permission to go ahead and use the "shuttle speed" button? I was concerned we might need a firmware update...
 
yes, shutter speed changes would be very obvious. To save a simple two stops the action would go from 180* or 1/48 to 45* or 1/192... A big difference in how motion is captured. That was not an option. I added a pola, and shot with the stop I had to. It should be noted that shooting at very small apertures can diminish the resolving power of lenses by scattering light. I almost always stay away from deeeeep stops. I don't know how well cookes perform at full closed aperture, but from past experience with different lenses, i avoid it
 
I don't think the sensitivity is such a problem. At -3 as I recall (could be wrong though) its similar in sensitivity to say an EX and so exterior issues don't demand that much filtration. The difference is that you can shoot at +12 and even +18 which you never could before.
 
What about using the built-in ND Filters..?

These can be used along with externals...

#1 Filter is 1/8ND = .9ND = 3 stops less...

#2 Filter is 1/64ND = 1.8ND = reduces approx 6 stops...

Might them help... or am I wrong? Correct me please.

Thank you.

Henry Epstein
 
Good stuff Tim. Things are getting more and more exciting with all these new toys. You should of called me, I was too in the Vegas area. I could of lend you guys my ninja skills.
 
i think the next step for camera companies is gonna be that issue right there. I predict one day you'll be able to change the "mode" of the sensor, and you'll get results similar to what slow and fast film does. the slow sensor mode will let you achieve your max DR at a much lower ISO, throttling the sensor, and the fast mode will give it that crazy sensitivity and low noise floor like we have now.

this is all just conjecture, but I can really see someone figuring that out one day.

Good idea. Maybe Sony can do this with the F65 because it has 8k pixels, but only outputs 4k. So it's conceivable that they can just throw away data from half the pixels and have a sensor that is less sensitive. Just guessing.

Did NASA give us permission to go ahead and use the "shuttle speed" button? I was concerned we might need a firmware update...

Good catch! Since we (US citizens) already pay the bill for NASA, everything they do is public property. So we might need a firmware upgrade, but it will be free.
 
Apparently the sensor for the digital magazine for the Aaton Penelope will have native dual iso.
From what I remember it's a CCD.
 
What about using the built-in ND Filters..?

These can be used along with externals...

#1 Filter is 1/8ND = .9ND = 3 stops less...

#2 Filter is 1/64ND = 1.8ND = reduces approx 6 stops...

Might them help... or am I wrong? Correct me please.

Thank you.

Henry Epstein


Of course we are counting on those! But with a 1600ISO camera 6 stops of ND is not enough.


The only good thing is that I´ll be able to use the Nikon ND400 that I bought and never quite used. XD
 
Back
Top