Voting structure

seansshack

Well-known member
Would it be an idea (or not) to break down the overall score for each piece into an average overall score based on several elements.

i.e. for short films. Rather than a score out of ten - rate the direction, writing, editing, photography etc - score for each builds into final score.

Might also be an idea for future script fests.

Just felt off voting for a short film where by technically they are solid but story is lacking or visa versa. You may give the story a 10 but don't like the acting.

Just a thought.

Would also set the score in stone after people vote - like an election (since it's topical over there at the moment). Prevents people going back and changing their minds because other people comment a piece is good or bad. People should watch/read and vote. If you feel you should adjust your score because other obviously don't/do like a piece - should be too late. After all art is subjective.

If all these have been suggestion or in play. Please ignore. Haven't been around much been stuck in feature(s) writing mode for a bit...
 
I like this idea.

I think it should be offered as an option. So if people want to just rate the film overall they can but will also have the option to break it down and rate the indiv. elements.
 
i will vote for all films, but i also wish to comment on all of them too ( as i have started, 4 down, 63 to go! ), and as someone who most happily put forth 2 films, this is all i wish for, comments!
please comment on my films! the more the merrier!

you can always break down how you got to your score within your comments to the film maker. i can only speak for myself but receiving comments is GOLD! where else and in what other festival am i going to get any sort of feedback from other aspiring and accomplished film makers? this is sooo valuable! this is also one of the main reasons i worked so hard, not to acrue votes but to learn from others!

many thanks!
 
we did this in a previous fest, Horrorfest 2006. There was a massive spread sheet that automatically calculated an average of the score you gave a film for cinematography, acting, direction, sound, score etc ...

1. It's a lot of work, I think the fest mods are trying to encourage more people to vote with this system.
2. After the master spreadsheet was made available, There was a MASSIVE sh*tstorm that came down due to this amount of disclosure, for example, "losing" 2nd or 4th or 18th place to another film by thousandths of a point. Personally, I thought this kind of system gave us good categories for films, like "top 5", or "20-30th" place films, but for specific places wasn't completely accurate, like say the difference between 22nd and 27th, they could have just as well been interchanged based on the quality of the film. The system we have now is better.
 
just a suggestion as there are so many elements to a film/movie - marking that into a single score (outside of comments) just seems limited in accuracy.

But I too hate movie mags that give a score of 3 out of 5 and the movie is largely dismissed.
 
But, don't assume that just b/c the voting system is as simple as clicking 8, that that's all the thought someone is giving to it. Having a complex voting structure on an individual basis is great and encouraged, but one should look to their thread for more specific feedback on individual components of their film, etc.

The idea behind the voting system is to be as straight-forward and balanced as possible, and to encourage the largest voter turnout as possible. The more legitimate responders and voters that we can draw in to increase the sample that you get of your audience, the better.

Everyone will have their own way of getting to that place. Your peers here on the site will likely use more stringent guidelines. But, having a lot of casual viewers as possible who respond more generally as average audience members is also equally valuable, I think.

Later,
Jason
 
But, don't assume that just b/c the voting system is as simple as clicking 8, that that's all the thought someone is giving to it.

I wasn't. Just seemed like an idea to break down the voting into detail. Both useful for those voting and as well as the being getting feedback.

I agree that comments and suggestions are the real value. But giving votes to separate elements allows one to focus - i.e. the sound editing was poor so I give it a 4 for this alone. More accurate and easier to work out what let me down.

+ I have voted on a few and rounding the entire short movie (considering the work involved from more than one person) caused me problems.

I know the score is not the item to focus on but it just struck me when reading video game scores - they break them down into graphics, gameplay etc. So if buying you agree something does it fact look beautiful, sounds amazing but is flat on substance etc.

I wasn't suggesting whats in place doesn't work or work well fact. But if I had a short in and I received and average score of 4 - it may allow me to accurately work out what dragged me down or exactly where I let myself down. Comments and suggestions are gold. But scores are the foundation of any voting or exam taking. You may not care if you win or lose, so long as you learn and grow.

But I'm just a writer not a director/dop.

Enjoying the fest and being able to watch the shorts from the outside...

Hats off to all those involved. Some really talented futures on display here.
 
Back
Top