Visiting Steve

Pretty good camera & started out well with good SFX. Acting/dialogue was poor. Probably the coolest moment (for me) was when the actor said "It's been a long time, Steve", and the voice repeats itself with the reverb & the shot of the flower dropping.

The mask was fine, but you could CERTAINLY tell it was a mask (moving around the eyes, teeth pushing in when a cigar's pressed against them to smoke, etc.), and wish it was much tighter to the skin, because if you think about it ... if that was the size of his head after 8 years of rotting, you know how big of a friggin' melon that guy would have had on his shoulders with hair, body fat, etc. Charlie Brown would have looked like a pin head in comparison.

This was obviously meant to be corny vs. scary, as the hands/gloves were pristinely white, but I would have preferred for it to be grounded with a touch more realism.

Otherwise, good concept, some fun & humerous moments.
 
I liked the acting, it fit the tone of the piece. This one was good because it had its own completely unique vibe, and everyone seemed to be dancing to the same rhythm.

Moving beyond music metaphors, I loved the look and feel of the overall film. There was a nice feeling of cynicism, kind of a "been there done that" attitude towards death that felt refreshing and witty.

Nice work, Pete.
 
Thanks man, yeah I didn't have enough money at the time to cast up my sculpt in foam latex which would have sold it a lot better....I had to use normal latex and a soft foam that doesn't really stretch, plus I wasn't able to mold the actors head so I had to use one I already had to sculpt on, and it ended up that the mask was wayyy too big for him and there wasn't anything I could do. That was a nightmare, but thats life.
 
Well, if you're making that stuff from scratch, you've got a major knack for FX/Make up ... could go far in the industry.
 
Curugon summed it up nicely with "...completely unique vibe"

I totally agree. This is another one I really enjoyed and when watching asked out loud "IS this our Peter Murphy?" The talent that is on this forum is awesome.

I really enjoyed this piece. It had a very hip kind of vibe going on. From the opening Zombie walk into the gates of the Alpine Cemetary (I lived in Pine valley for 5 minutes once) to the hand coming out of the grave; this film did some nice things and did not waste a moment of my time.

This kind of reminded me of An American Werewolf in London when his friend (Griffin Dunne) came back to talk with him. Way cool. I alos enjoy that you took this out into the streets per se and did not stay in the house. A cemetary, two different resturaunts, the parking lot....

The Audio was superb IMO. Nice mixing. The color grading CC was supernice as well (I preferred the moments when the MB was toned down however). The lead actor struggled a bit but the cool rasp of the Undead dude made up for this small ***** of mine.

The music was great. I was really entertained with this.

Some minor gripes were 'Was that catsup and mustard being thrown on windshield?' and I would have loved to have seen even more dolly cause you had quite a but and it worked very well.

Well done; good to finally see something from you/ I look forward to more work from you.
 
Great! Really, my second favourite, because it's just so different, completely unique. I DID NOT LIKE mustard and ketchup on the windshield - and that's the only thing I didn't. Very good cinematography and color grading, decent acting (loved Steve's voice), very nice makeup and great music. Pure fun, enjoyable for whole 5 minutes. Thank you!
 
this was the first film i saw and like the others said it's really unique i didn't see any like it after. the titles are super cool and feel like i'm watching a tim burton movie. the films itself had really nice coloring and cool stylish shots. the story was a bit weird but in a cool way.

good job and succes in the competition
 
This was one of the most memorable out of my first batch of 40 films. I loved the look of the zombie (except for that huge mask) and the feel was very much a 30/40's era with a dash of burton, thrown in.

I loved the feel and the overal mood of it all. The music was okay, it would be awesome to see this with a real "score".

Again, and I mention it because it drove me nuts too, the ketchup mustard thing was a good idea, but made the scene far too cheesy. It would have been cool if you just had body parts (arms, legs, heads, etc.) hitting hte car.
 
Hey
Here are some of the things I thought of when watching it.
The mask didnt work.
I liked the voice.
I didnt like the ketchup mustard thing.
I didnt understand the waiters reaction to the guy asking for the check.
Some of the CC looks great but one of the shots in the grave yard didnt work, it looked different from the rest.
When we first saw the feet walk into the screen he seems to stumble a bit and at first I thought he was a zombie from the way he was walking.
I think this is another one that will look alot better on the dvd
Very nice work
Brian
 
Hectorxd said:
When we first saw the feet walk into the screen he seems to stumble a bit and at first I thought he was a zombie from the way he was walking.

I got the impression that was very much on purpose ... opening in the same style as SHAUN OF THE DEAD.
 
Great short! There was a definite vibe to the film and you stuck to it. It looks to me as if you had a pretty clear vision of what you wanted to do and it was done really well. The acting, the makeup, the look and the pacing of the film all fit. It was dry and witty and really entertaining. Unfortuately i can't vote.
 
A "hero" zombie...tongue-in-cheek sure, but not a bad idea at all. Nice and refreshing approach to an existing sub-genre.

Nice punchline with the whole "simeon brain" gag.

I can definitely dig your sense of humor.

An all-in-all fun little movie.
 
Thanks guys for the comments and critiques, they are greatly appreciated. When I sent the file to the guy who did the music he made the audio sound richer somehow, and I have no idea what he did, but I was happy. I adr'd most of the movie cause a lot of it was no good. Yeah and I just got lazy at the ketchup and mustard thing, I was going to do limbs and stuff, but you know....i just didn't and I agree with you guys. Thanks again,

Peter
 
"I got the impression that was very much on purpose ... opening in the same style as SHAUN OF THE DEAD."

I havent seen the movie so I guess I didnt make that connection. Thanks for clearing it up. It looked and sounded really good when it happened, I just didnt know why it happened is all.
brian
 
Before any of the films were released I said my most important criteria would be how much the film entertained me. This entry scores at the top in that regard... and you demonstrated a lot of skill to back up a good story. In the opening I actually wondered if you had a Mini35... it just had a good look to it.

I enjoyed several bits of humor which made me laugh out loud... like "this food's going right through me"... "what are you doing with these" (and the general premise that brass nuckles were far from the usual metal objects for zombie bashing)... and then again "amatures" when he got back in.

This flick is in my top 5 for hitting on all cylinders... and mainly 'cause it was entertaining.
 
toilet_bob said:
The music was okay, it would be awesome to see this with a real "score".

Sorry, after reading your "you made me sad" reply I went back and watched it again because I wrote the post at work and didn't have the actual file handy. To be honest, I think I got the music wrong. After paying special attention to the score here is what I say about it.

Your score work was good, I love the donny darko feel of it. The beginning piece when the foot goes into the shot is fantastic, it fits the sounds and atmosphere in these beginning scenes perfectly.

The only part where it really doesn't seem to fit, is during the fight. I wanted something a bit faster. And the sound effects are really lacking there, which may be part of the strangeness.

All in all, this thing is still one of the best I've seen so far.
 
Back
Top