VIMEO can do for you what Premiere Pro cannot - and other tips

DPStewart

Veteran
OK, now a lot of you all already know this stuff so this goes out to folks that are less familiar:

Re-encode your videos THROUGH Vimeo.
Yup, you can use Vimeo to get BETTER small-file-size encodings than anything I have ever been able to produce with Premiere and Media Encoder. ESPECIALLY the 720p size!
Upload your video to Vimeo, and then download it at both the 1080p and 720p sizes and you'll find that the bit-rate is TINY considering how good the video will look. I have tried setting after setting after setting on Premiere and I've never found anything that can come close.
Now you have excellent quality videos that are so small in data size that you can easily include them in things like Electronic Press Kits, Portfolios, Websites, Dropboxing, heck you can even email them when short enough.
I'm talking about data rates as small as 2,500kbps with EXCELLENT quality.

Tip #2. - Rendering your videos out in DNxHD in 10-bit with 'data levels' included makes your uploads to Vimeo and YouTube videos come back even better.

Tip #3. - Vimeo allows you to select how your videos get played back for the viewers and some folks overlook this. The SETTINGS tab on your video allows you to select 1080p as the playback resolution instead of the default of 720p. Just bear in mind that is a tougher data stream for many people's internet connection to handle. But if you've ever wondered why other people's Vimeo videos seem higher-res than yours...check that out in your video's SETTINGS tab.

OK, that's all for now.
Yeah, I know most folks know this stuff...just tryin' to do my civic duty here.

~Cheers
 
This is the paid Vimeo, right?

I found the free Vimeo's re-encoding of my uploads so awefull I gave up on using it went with YouTube only.
 
OK, now a lot of you all already know this stuff so this goes out to folks that are less familiar:

Re-encode your videos THROUGH Vimeo.
Yup, you can use Vimeo to get BETTER small-file-size encodings than anything I have ever been able to produce with Premiere and Media Encoder. ESPECIALLY the 720p size!
Upload your video to Vimeo, and then download it at both the 1080p and 720p sizes and you'll find that the bit-rate is TINY considering how good the video will look. I have tried setting after setting after setting on Premiere and I've never found anything that can come close.
Now you have excellent quality videos that are so small in data size that you can easily include them in things like Electronic Press Kits, Portfolios, Websites, Dropboxing, heck you can even email them when short enough.
I'm talking about data rates as small as 2,500kbps with EXCELLENT quality.

Tip #2. - Rendering your videos out in DNxHD in 10-bit with 'data levels' included makes your uploads to Vimeo and YouTube videos come back even better.

Tip #3. - Vimeo allows you to select how your videos get played back for the viewers and some folks overlook this. The SETTINGS tab on your video allows you to select 1080p as the playback resolution instead of the default of 720p. Just bear in mind that is a tougher data stream for many people's internet connection to handle. But if you've ever wondered why other people's Vimeo videos seem higher-res than yours...check that out in your video's SETTINGS tab.

OK, that's all for now.
Yeah, I know most folks know this stuff...just tryin' to do my civic duty here.

~Cheers

Good tips, Dane.... It's just that automatic uploads to Vimeo via P.Pro is just SO easy...(and I'm lazy)...
 
This is the paid Vimeo, right?

I found the free Vimeo's re-encoding of my uploads so awefull I gave up on using it went with YouTube only.

That's a good question Jim. I honestly don't know the answer because I've never used anything other than their $59/year service.
Yes, perhaps the free service is of lesser quality.

To me it's WAY worth it not just for the storage space but for this encoding as well.

I asked some Post-Warriors that I know in L.A. and they basically said: "Duh" about Adobe's encoding being "semi-pro" (Their words) and they pointed me to the higher-end encoding programs they use...but BANG they are EXPENSIVE. So this is my work-around.
 
One question.

What codec and data rate do you use to upload the original video to vimeo?

When I upload, it is already compressed and ready for use with Vimeo.

Otherwise, I am looking at a 10 GB upload of the edited, but uncompressed footage, for a five-eight minute video.

I don't believe Vimeo takes that large of a file.
 
Same question, here !
You said DNXxHD ... from Premiere ME ?
And what are the higher-end programs used by these "Post-Warriors" ?
Thanks.
 
I asked some Post-Warriors that I know in L.A. and they basically said: "Duh" about Adobe's encoding being "semi-pro" (Their words) and they pointed me to the higher-end encoding programs they use...but BANG they are EXPENSIVE.

There are some free ones that are better than Adobe. HC Encoder is excellent for MPEG2 (DVD) encoding.

And MeGUI is excellent for H.264 (using x264) encoding.

Both programs offer the superior CQ mode, and do a noticeably better job.
 
RE: DNxHD - I think even Premiere ME will run it if you download and install the codec from Avid.

RE: The "big shot" encoders. Honestly I don't remember names, but I remember that they didn't show up in Google searches, and that they cost several THOUSAND dollars for the license. I didn't WANT to remember them after seeing the prices! Do you really think Warner Brothers and MARVEL are using FCPX or Media Encoder to encode their trailers for YouTube?
There was one, however, that they suggested that was only $300. But that still was more than I had that month just for an h.264 encoder.
Here's that one: http://www.x264pro.com/

RE: MeGUI and HC Encoder - yeah, I use those too and I can back up what Jim Simon said. They are noticeably better. And FREE.

But the real killer is Vimeo's 720p.
The bit rate comes back at 2,500kbps and it's just a phenomenal recreation of WHATEVER YOU JUST FED INTO IT. Test it yourself. Upload anything of yours in high quality 1080p, then once Vimeo is done processing it download the 720p version. Now look at its quality compared to YOUR ORIGINAL. Now try to duplicate Vimeo's 720p 2,500kbps quality using ANY encoding method you have access to and see if you can equal the quality AT ONLY 2,500kbps.

If you can find a way to do so then by all means POST it here and collect your well deserved winnings!
 
Thanks a lot, Jim, Josh and DPStewart !
I will try both Vimeo process and MeGUI.
(DNxHD is now implemented in Premiere CC 2015-ME. No need to install it from Avid.)
 
This is an early test shot with my D16. I share it because I know the encoding chain file sizes. The original was 1.5GB 1080p CDNG raw, graded Raw Therapee and transcoded to uncompressed 4:2:2 720p broadcast AVI, 300MB file size. That was compressed to 720p H.264 and exported to Vimeo from Lightworks as a 90MB file. As posted Vimeo recompressed it to just 9.6MB. Still looks pretty good, though there are some definite losses.
 
What is paid ($60/year) vimeo's max single upload file size?

5-Gig per week is what they say is the storage limit for the $60/year service.

The "Pro" sercvice gives 20-Gig per week upload limit for $200/year.

So the max single file size is 5-Gig with the "Plus" service - $60/year.
 
Back
Top