Viewing, Voting & Reviewing - A Discussion

cinealma said:
THIS MAN IS A TRUE FILMMAKER! :thumbsup:

(Sorry to hear about your girlfriend, though.)

John G.
WAH! Who was that woman I woke up with this morning :eek:

Or rather .. who was that woman who was getting up to go to work while I was going to bed?

Oh I see the confusion... I was writing from a hypothetical future situation.

No we are still together. She was a producer on this film even though she HATES making films. Couldn't of done it with out her and she did it out of pure love / favor to me because she woudl rather "watch paint dry than be on a film set" (her words).

It moves too slow for her and she has no interest in the techinal aspect. She always supports me by keeping me in clean underwear and fed while shooting and editing, however, and never balks at seeing my movies for the 9th or 10th time.
 
I can say from experience that we need at least 2 real judges that know how to rate these films. The Third vote could be another judge or the DVXuser's vote.

Having been in the Sci-fi contest and having seen the score cards after, a LOT of people did not A. watch each and every film and B. fairly rate each category.

I think a lot of people watched the first 30 sec, figured out what score they wanted the film to get and gave that score across the board.

I ain't going to toot my own horn, but there is NO way that there were 13 films with a better Musical Score then my Sci Fi short (Home Invasion)! I watched them all, So I know this for a fact. Had it been judged by knowledgeable judges, I am certain we would have been 1st or 2nd place for Musical Score.

I would be happy to post the Soundtrack/short for anyone who would like to contest what I am saying. To my knowledge we were the only film with a perfectly timed out, original score that ran the length of the short. We also used the Vienna Symphonic and supreme audio quality.

Just my 2 cents
 
Last edited:
bena said:
I can say from experience that we need at least 2 real judges that know how to rate these films. The Third vote could be another judge or the DVXuser's vote.

Having been in the Sci-fi contest and having seen the score cards after, a LOT of people did not A. watch each and every film and B. fairly rate each category.

I think a lot of people watched the first 30 sec, figured out what score they wanted the film to get and gave that score across the board.

I ain't going to toot my own horn, but there is NO way that there were 13 films with a better Musical Score my Sci Fi short (Home Invasion)! I watched them all, So I know this for a fact. Had it been judged by knowledgeable judges, I am certain we would have been 1st or 2nd place for Musical Score.

I would be happy to post the Soundtrack/short for anyone who would like to contest what I am saying. To my knowledge we were the only film with a perfectly timed out, original score that ran the length of the short. We also used the Vienna Symphonic and supreme audio quality.

Just my 2 cents
Please post it. Thanks.
 
LOL DUDE.... my short A Price Too High had a completely original score, perfectly timed out, and ran the entire length.
 
bena said:
I can say from experience that we need at least 2 real judges that know how to rate these films. The Third vote could be another judge or the DVXuser's vote.

And what EXACTLY constitutes a REAL judge?

I am more than happy to let the "viewing public" rate our entry.
 
Blaine said:
And what EXACTLY constitutes a REAL judge?

They have to be a human... from the planet Earth :Drogar-BigGrin(DBG)

Anyway... the main reason I started this thread originally was to shed a little light on how I was going to be viewing, reviewing, and voting. I want everyone to embrace the system currently set up, and I hope my method is able to help everyone out :)
 
Blaine said:
And what EXACTLY constitutes a REAL judge?
someone that agrees with the filmmaker's opinion of their film evidently, lol
Blaine said:
I am more than happy to let the "viewing public" rate our entry.
kind of like -- hmm, the real film market?

Jackass 2 is the number 1 film at the box office right now ... think it'll win an oscar? :laugh:

Also agents pay more attention to audience awards when signing filmmakers. Jury awards can get distribution of course, but a filmmaker with audience awards is in a good position ... a la Robert Rodriguez.
 
Brandon Rice said:
Anyway... the main reason I started this thread originally was to shed a little light on how I was going to be viewing, reviewing, and voting.
C'mon, the real reason you started this thread is because you just can't help yourself. :Drogar-BigGrin(DBG)
 
Blaine said:
C'mon, the real reason you started this thread is because you just can't help yourself. :Drogar-BigGrin(DBG)

No dude, really, I am trying to be more helpful, come on, haven't you been able to tell? :(
 
Brandon Rice said:
No dude, really, I am trying to be more helpful, come on, haven't you been able to tell? :(
emoticon-05.gif
 
I think the thread was just supposed to be about how people are gonna keep track of the ton of films, what they were looking for, and how many they were gonna watch in one setting, etc. rather than what it has turned out to be.

Some festivals are juried. This isn't one of them. That simple. Also a non-juried, audience fest is much more in keeping with the spirit of the indie DVXuser vibe. People doin' it for themselves.
 
I meant for themselves, as in by themselves - without the approval of some suit or studio.
As in taking the initiative.
As in the 24p camera that made it possible for us to make these things look this good for virtually no $.
 
Back
Top