UX 180 external zoom controller

Has anyone found a zoom controller for the UX180 that they like. I bought a Libec unit and it seems to optimized for LANC units vs Panny. I'm in the hunt for a unit that has variable zoom speed etc. Varizoom perhaps??
 
I don't have a UX180, but I've been very pleased with my Varizoom controllers on my PX270 and DVX200. The VZ-ROCK-PZFI is the most versatile, with focus, iris and record start-stop controls as well as a big zoom rocker paddle that allows good control of the variable zoom speed.

- Greg
 
I have purchased more LANC's and controllers than I care to admit

The problem, I find, with the cheaper Varizoom controllers is with the plastic clamping mechanism. I have already broken three of them over the years. It is a fatal design flaw to have the thinnest part of the cheap plastic clamp in the centre where the clamp experiences the greatest stress. I gave up on replacing the plastic clamps and found a metal plumbing clamp that replaces the plastic clamp that ships with the smaller Varizoom controllers.

As far as Panny controllers, I also own the VZROCKPZFI ( http://www.varizoom.com/product-p/vzrockpzfi.htm ) and I found the iris and focus knobs to be flimsy and imprecise. These are very delicate knobs and do not hold up to rugged use in my opinion. I happen to look after my gear better than most, and I have run into various issues with Varizoom controllers. For instance on my Canon Varizoom Lanc ( VZSTEALTHLX - http://www.varizoom.com/product-p/vzstealthlx.htm ) which has a throttle style zoom control on it, the knob on the top of the throttle fell off on more than one occasion. I was fortunate enough to have found the small knob in the past, but now its completely lost, its just poor engineering in my opinion.

Here is another problem, with the paddle style Varizoom controllers (like this - http://www.varizoom.com/product-p/vzrockdvx.htm ) you have to be careful where you mount it on your pan arm. If you are like most people who attaches their controller at the point where the pan arm tubing meets the pan arm handle, the paddles on the Varizoom have a tendency to get stuck when the differential between the pan arm tubing and the handle is large like on a Manfrotto pan arm for instance.

I currently use and reccomend the VZPRO-PZFI for the UX-180

http://www.varizoom.com/product-p/vzpro-pzfi.htm

This is a well built controller with solid controls. The clamping mechanism is the same as the cheaper models only it is made from aluminium so it does not suffer the same fate as the plastic clamp versions.

The only downside of course is the size. It's big, bulky and heavy. It is tricky to store properly in a case because to store it safely it will inherently take up a lot of space. This unit controls Rec start/stop, zoom, iris and focus. If you do not need that control over all of the aforementioned functions, there is an equally well made version than only controls zoom and Rec Start/Stop ( VZPG-PZ - http://www.varizoom.com/product-p/vzpg-pz.htm ). It's about $50 cheaper than the VZPRO-PZFI but they are both well made sturdy units


If you are looking for a cheaper, lighter and smaller option I recommend the Acebil Zoom Controller

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod..._rmc_l1dvx_zoom_controller_for_panasonic.html

This controller only manages zoom and Rec start/Stop. The clamping mechanism is far superior to the Varizoom and the rocker does not get stuck like the Varizoom. All of these controllers are velocity sensitive.

The Achilles heel on this unit is that the controller cable is very delicate. The good news is that the cable separates from the controller. The bad news is that you need to make sure to disconnect and safely store the cable after each use. It's not a huge deal, but worth mentioning as I broke my first Acebil controller by not looking after the cable.

And that's all I have to say about that! Good luck
 
Last edited:
I returned the Libec and went for the Varizoom. Hoping they work out the firmware issues with focus which I'm told are on the Panasonic end of things.
 
I have the Libec, and it just did not work well with the 180, although I had used it for a long time with the HPX250.
I got the Manfrotto, and now it performs great, very smooth slow zooms. Makes the UX-180 perform like a great servo zoom lens.
 
Back
Top