Using Small HD DP6 on shoulder rig in bright sun with sun shade?

Gene Sung

Veteran
I'm thinking about getting a Small HD DP6 for my FS700.

Does anyone use this monitor with their shoulder rig? The Sun Shade that comes with it seems pretty cool, EXCEPT it's 8 inches long which seems really long to use with a Shoulder Rig. But in the bright sun, it seems like you need some type of sunshade otherwise the DP6 would be so hard too see.

What do you guys do when using the DP6 in bright sun light and a shoulder rig?

Thanks for any tips.
 
Yes. It works well on the shoulder with a sunshade. You don't want it any closer than 8 inches, anyway, because it's already a big screen, and it's not an EVF.

The only issue you will have is when the sun is behind you and strikes the monitor, creating a glare.
 
It works ok, but I have to say that the length of the sunshade isn't always ideal. Mostly it can create problems when a shoulder-mounted camera with a wide angle lens is sitting next to your head. Then the amount of distance you have to move the DP6 to front can become a problem, because you're starting to hit the mattebox or followfocus unit. And if you don't use a mattebox, then you're risking that the back of the monitor will get into the frame of the wideangle, and it takes some extra care to cable it properly as well.

With all that said, I'm actually considering buying the DP4 with the eye cup adapter, so then I'd have best of the both, because having an EVF style monitor can help stabilize the rig on your shoulder. I would then use the DP6 only for tripod work, or turn it over to a dedicated focus puller to enjoy the size and resolution.
 
Love it. The shade sold me the monitor over the TVL

But yes youve got to watch those wides, mine is good to about 18 before I have to swing it to the side.

Note how far forward it 'needs' to be, this depends on your eyes some can focus closer than others, I dont think a direct to handlebar connection would work.

S

39.jpg
 
It works great, I use it all the time with lots of different cameras and rigs. Just get a nice long arm that's solid and your set.
 
Back
Top