universal lens?

Can't decide what camera to buy - ag-af100 or 5dmk2 or RED. May be all of them. And I don't want to buy different lenses for each of them. Is there any option for universal lens mounts and formats (FF, S35, m43) to use on every camera with only changing mount-adaptors?
 
Isn't it most expensive variant?
And what about frame size?
May be FF lenses for dslrs, cause they have biggest frame size? Or there will be problems with wide angles on smaller sensors on red and af100?

1) The lenses made for PL mount are the most 'geared' toward filmmaking in quality and build (no pun inteneded! :) ). Yes they are more expensive, but then again you're a guy looking to buy a Red, DSLR and AF-100... So going the extra step to purchase a nice set of PL mount lenses for all of them to share doesn't seem like a big breaking point. It will be worth it in the future, as your focus puller and rental clients will prefer them. You don't have to go buy some brand new Master Primes, there are great older superspeeds, angeniuex zooms, cookes, and other lenses available. Research and decide for yourself.

2) a 5dMII does not take PL mount lenses. Every other DSLR I know of does (7d, GH2, etc). 5DmII is full frame. Only one set of PL mount lenses cover full frame, the CP.2's.

3) If you are looking for universal lenses, the previously mentioned CP.2's have interchangable mounts... meaning you can have them PL mount for the Red (or AF-100) or make them Canon mount, and have the Red, AF100 and 5DmII Canon mounted. That seems to be your best option... and lucky for you, those cine lenses are the most modern and affordable lens line, I know of.

4) The FoV changes will make you choose different lenses, just have a good range. Rent anything you need for specialty shots on those seldom shoots that require it.
 
Zeiss ZF's cinemoded. They're affordable, have manual aperture, similar optics to the CP's and cover a full frame DSLR.
 
What about Canon L series primes? I think they are a great more affordable alternative when matched with a Birger mount. No need for a Bartech! I would think the manual focus issues would be resolved with the programmable Birger mount. I loved the Canon L's for still photography. Plus they are FAST! Are the PL mount Cookes and Zeiss glass really that much better? I've never used them but I'm curious to hear what everyone thinks, those who have used the cine glass compared to the Canons and a Birger on the RED.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top