To Sell or not to sell(upgrade)

Jaimebailon

Well-known member
i just found that i might be able to afford an hvx200 if i sell my dvx100b and i was wondering if it would be best to sell now before Nab and the hmc150 come out and get an hvx200 and run the risk of panasonic anouncing a revised version of the hvx at nab or would it be best to sell now and be without a camera till after nab? anyways how much would a used dvx100b go for with only 25hours on it?i dont know what to do because it sure would be nice to have an hvx im just kind of unsure it a big decision for me.

Thanks
-Jaime Bailon
 
Actually, I just sold my dvx100a last week. Sold it for quite cheap- it was a 3 (or was it 4 years old?) cam, for about 1300 USD. I own an HVX, and all my DVX support gear works great with the HVX (excluding my old glidecam 2000 which couldn't handle it), so it was a seamless upgrade (not taking into consideration the tapeless workflow and post production considerations).

Even tough you lose a stop to the dvx in light sensibility, the HVX is an excelent upgrade of the dvx.

However, if you can afford an HVX now, you can afford an HVX two weeks later- Wait for NAB and see if the HVX is indeed upgraded to "a".

The only problem you might find is the resell value of the DVX going down with the introduction of the HMC- But I do think the dvx will keep market value for at least a year.

This is all personal opinion, however. I live in the other side of the world, and used gear gets de-valued fast!

EDIT- Another take (after some tought). If I was to get anything less than the deal I got from the camera, I would have kept it. I believe the "Mini-DV" look will be a "look" that will have its place as an audiovisual style more and more with time (just like 8mm). Its the look of a certain period in time... The HVX helps me keep the option to shoot Mini-dv, but it is Inferior (stairstepping) to the DVX for mini-dv sd work...
 
Last edited:
Back
Top