thinking about the right time to buy

Oli.S

Active member
I'm one of the many that desperatly wait for the HVX to hit the stores.

Now I was thinking about "new products" in general.
In many cases, products hit the market and as time goes by, they get pimped. Not officially by releasing an "A" or "B" modell, but silently. Just minor tweaks, maybe a software update if software is involved or stuff like that.

I usually never buy a mobile phone until it's at least 6 months on the market. Same with cars.

What do you think?

If you're also waiting for the HVX to come out: do you also have the fear of spending lots of money just to find out six months later that they applied some tune-ups that make sense and you'd wish to have?

regards,
Oli
 
I plan on buying two with the P2 cards, on a loan, I ain't no money bags...but plan on making money on affordable HD production. That's a $18,000 purchase!
ANY tweaks could be costly, don't you think? If the tweaks are to correct "errors" or "minor problems" don't you think our warranties should cover that?
I don't care what the product, first models of a whole new type are doomed to have SOME problems, even if they are minor.
 
I see your concern Oli.S,

Just like what happened with the PD-150.
I believe the early models had audio issues, but after awhile, it was corrected.

I plan on waiting at least a few months before I pick up the HVX.

I want to see if early purchasers experience any negative issues with the camera.

I also want to see footage first.


-BillP
 
I wouldn't advise anyone to get a product until they need it. But if you do need it, then you need it, and whether it gets tweaked or improved down the line, does that really matter? Does it change what you've got?

I knew when I bought my new 2003 car that there'd be a 2004 model, and indeed it had a few changes. But I needed my car now, I got it now, and it does the job I got it for.

The thing about a camera like this is that it's a work tool. If you can put it to work and start making money off it, the thing will pay for itself in a very short amount of time. I was talking with one of our members the other day, who does weddings (not HD weddings, mind you, just a regular business). They charge $3500 per wedding. That would pay off the DVX right then and there. And they do one every week. Every week. So, if there's demand for high-def weddings, get an HVX -- you could theoretically pay it off in three weeks' work. Would you really care if there was an update six months down the road, after you've pocketed $3500 x 26 weeks = $91,000 (minus the $10,000 for the HVX and cards). You're still $81,000 ahead. If there's a new camera, and it's a significant-enough change that it makes a difference in your business, then buy it at that time. Sell the old one, and you'll make the upgrade cost up within a week. Lather, rinse, repeat...
 
I also shared your concern. I bought the DVX 100 to shoot a feature, then a month or two later the "a" model came out. I can't tell you how many jobs have passed me by because I don't have the "a" model since then... but then again I've had plenty of work w/ the DVX100 too.

Still gonna pre-order the HVX.

-j
 
Nice to hear you guys don't really think it's such a bad idea to be one of the first buyers.
As a matter of fact I might be the very first buyer here in Germany. :grin:
Sometimes patience is something really hard to have. :happy:
 
Well I can only advise to what i think is right in my opinion. I am going to buy thr hvx200 without the p2 cards, wait about a year and half, by that time there will be emerging technolgies to support the hvx, new sources to help to give knowledge and tweaking sources to help you with the hvx(like this forum for example).

I'm only saying this cos i have not yet invested in a dvx100a, so when i get the hvx i will use to DV like the dvx100 and then move on to HD a year on. Hopefully by then P2 cards will be slightly cheaper as well.
 
Hey, Oli.S, as you are living in Germany, have you seen any prize infos for the HVX200 there? I would like to know the approx. prize here in Europe. Thanks.

Maybe some links for the shops?

:thumbsup:
 
I answered your PM, so just in short words here:
I cannot remeber where I got the info from, but it will be around 4999 Euros.
This would be a little bit more expensive than the US-version, but that would make sense since this sort of stuff is always a little less expensive in the States IMHO.
I don't know any shops in Germany that take preorders yet, but then: I haven't asked.
Pre-ordering doesnt make much sense to me. I'll order it when it's out. Maybe I'll not order one at all but go out and see the next official Pana dealer. Picking this baby up might be fun.

regards,
Oli
 
Back
Top