The Writer's Journey (book) - anyone read it?

adamrahn

Well-known member
Hey friends,

I'm currently blazing through The Writer's Journey by Chris Vogler - required reading for a class - and I was just curious if anyone else had read it. It draws heavily from Campbell's "Hero With A Thousand Faces" and discusses, in an amazing combination of detail and concision , the timeless mythical archetypes and the hero's journey found in all stories throughout our history. Super fast read if you're interested in beefing up, or simply reminding yourself, about writing a good story. Highly recommended.


Cheers,
Adam
 
I just bought a copy. It's going to be my next read after "Crafty Screenwriting" (thanks to Randall for the rec' on that one - enjoying it!) which I'm almost through now. Very much looking forward to it...

I read Campbell's "Hero..." some time ago. Great, but very deep. *Very* deep... : )
 
Read it several years ago, one of the first books on sw i read. Vogler's goes through a cyclic approach as I recall, and yes very similar to HJ. In fact I also have a DVD where Vogler and Hauge teacher a workshop together as a team.
 
yeah i read it and about 40 other screenwriting books - I guess they're all ok. THe writer nelson algren once said good writers don't know what they're writing about. Meaning they feel it. I think he's right. All those paradigms those books suggest i think put us too much up in the skull. Someone said if you write from a theme for example - if you know it before hand - you probably wont sweat it out the same way. This is from a writer who's written about a dozen feature scripts and never sold one - so what do i know? I do know I'm damn proud of what I've written however and they were all felt and in a funny way tapped into the same terrain Campbell talks about - which shouldn't come as a surprise - hey as maude said to harold regarding people "they're my species."
 
Back
Top