The RED Story

10s

Veteran
Is anyone documenting this story about RED?

This is really an inspirational story that I enjoy following. It would make a great book and TV documentary.

It would be a good Havard Business Magazine article also because of the passionate focus, leadership and Wilbur & Orville Wright bicycle shop type ingenuity.

... and it's made in the USA! most everthing else has moved offshore.

Keep up the good work.
 
I felt like I was part of digital cinema history when I was at the Nuart theatre sitting a mere two rows from Jim and watching the entire REd team in action. It's definitely an exciting ride.
 
I believe Jim and his crew at RED are the Wright brothers and or the "Ford" of digital cinema. It will go down in history (if RED delivers) that they were the first mass produced (more than just a few for professionals) affordable 4k camera that brought about rapid change much like Apple computer brought on the PC age.
 
Yes, certain things are being documented (which the people who were at the Nuart screenings have seen). Not everything though. Haven't seen a camera crew filming me here in Holland yet ;)
 
Rob Lohman said:
Haven't seen a camera crew filming me here in Holland yet ;)

If somehow those "filming" you already had a RED One camera system, I guess we could say they were "IT-ing images" of you, "recording digital images" of you, or "digital cinema-ing you", but definitely not "taping" or "filming" you. Even in a fast-moving, dynamic, IT-centered industry, anachronistic terms like "film" and "tape" will die a slow death...it's human nature.

Then again, since RED One hasn’t shipped yet, and thus those who would be recording images of you couldn’t possibly be using it, perhaps they would indeed be filming or taping you – unless they were using an IT-based camera.

I couldn't resist illustrating how much we all tend to still use traditional motion media industry terms like "film" and "tape". Looking forward, for a RED-centric approach to terminology, in my writings I think I’ll simply use the phrase “recording images” in reference to RED use, to free myself of anachronisms, while not offending tradition jargon.
 
Last edited:
May I suggest "shooting" instead of filming or "D-AQ" (Digital [FONT=&quot]acquisition[/FONT])
Although Dee-ack sounds funny.
 
I know what you mean about that Gibby, I keep deleting "Filming" and replacing with "movie making", especially on certain other forums where people jump on you for the littlest thing! It really ought to be cinematographing, just as it's photographing i guess... doesn't sound right at all though!
 
Brian is on the Red team documenting most things on a semi day to day basis.. Hes the guy in the first Nikon shot.
 
"I've thought of a name for my camera... 'The RED'"

"Hollywood... The RED.... There's more to the story than you know.... 'Jannard'"

The movie could all be shot with the RED and instead of the infamous break-in being done by just a couple of guys, it could be done by a bunch of ninjas.... cyborg ninjas.... with guns. I'd pay to see that movie.

But in all seriousness, that's good to hear that at least someone is keeping track and documenting this historic event. A DVD/HD-DVD/Bluray documentary would definitely make for a great promotional item.
 
Gibby said:
If somehow those "filming" you already had a RED One camera system, I guess we could say they were "IT-ing images" of you, "recording digital images" of you, or "digital cinema-ing you", but definitely not "taping" or "filming" you. Even in a fast-moving, dynamic, IT-centered industry, anachronistic terms like "film" and "tape" will die a slow death...it's human nature.
... yes, and additionally 100s if not 1000s of millions of investments and running infrastructures.
 
inthemind said:
May I suggest "shooting" instead of filming or "D-AQ" (Digital [FONT=&quot]acquisition[/FONT])
Although Dee-ack sounds funny.
The boys on Superman Returns regularly refered to it as "digital capture."
 
BORN ON THE 4K OF JULY
The Abridged Story of Red

Part I​

1 EXT. PLANET EARTH. OUTER SPACE

The globe of Earth. We hear the sounds of the beach. Rush in to:

2. EXT. A BEACH, CALIFORNIA. DAY

People sunbathing and playing the surf. All wearing OAKLEY sunglasses. Even while surfing. A lady sunbathing adjusts her OAKLEYS to look at the surfer. Whip pan to:-

3. EXT. THE SUMMIT OF MT EVEREST. DAY

Another successful climber reaches the top of the world. He pants and wipes frost from his OAKLEY SKI GOGGLES. Whip pan to:-

4. EXT. A MOTORCADE. ENGLAND. DAY

The QUEEN OF ENGLAND waves to the crowd all the time wearing designer purple OAKLEY SUNGLASSES. The crowd are wearing Oakleys too. Heck even those soldier dudes that stand outside the Palace with the FURRY HATS are in shades. CUT TO:-

5. EXT. OAKLEY TOWER. NIGHT.

The gothic industrial OAKLEY TOWER punches the night sky.

6. INT. JIM JANNARD'S OFFICE. OAKLEY TOWER. NIGHT.

It's an expansive, ornate room with a TANK ON THE WALL. The great chamber is mostly dark 'cept for the end where illumated, JIM JANNARD, founder of the OAKLEY EMPIRE is sitting at a massive steel desk.

GEEVES the butler walks in with a SILVER TRAY and a paper. He plops the paper on the desk. It has the headline: 'World wears Oakley: Eyesight Improves!'

GEEVES:​
Well you finally did it sir. Everyone in the world is wearing a pair of your fine sunglasses.​

Jim:​
Mmmmn.​

Geeves pops CHAMPAGNE into two flutes with a sizzle.

GEEVES:​
Cause for celebration don't you think?​

Jim:​
I don't think yet my old friend, I still feel like I've got more to give.​

GEEVES:​
Oh nonsense sir! Some would say you've given enough already what?...What more could you possibly do?​

Jim has been lost in thought, gives his attention to his kindly butler. There is a twinkle in his eye.

JIM:​
Put a cork in that Champagne Geeves. We're saving that for the big one. Get me a cup of coffee instead. Then a pencil and some A3 paper.​

GEEVES gives him a knowing smile.

GEEVES:​
Cogs turning sir?​

JIM:​
You know it. And heck if it aint the best idea I gone and ever did think.​

GEEVES:​
As your were then.​

Geeves turns and exits to the vast chamber.

to be continued...​



Someone elses turn, let's keep it going!

El Stupido
 
Last edited:
tommyinla said:
Hey Haakon,

I think I saw your license plate the other day on Laurel Canyon... was that you??
Hehe, possible... I'm all over L.A. during the week. Right now I'm spending a lot of time finishing up the Faithful, but I have two new music videos in preproduction as well. And of course, I was at the screening on Tuesday! The license plate goes wherever I go (no, it's not photoshop)! :)
 
I would think that in 10 years, it'll be on The Documentary Channel. Here's a quote:

"Then, RED had to overcome another hurdle. Sony refused to let RED show their 4K footage at IBC."

"Ted: We had all worked so hard, we were celebrating. And then this company, this multi-billion dollar corporation said 'I'm not going to let you give your demonstration.' you just take this big gasp. And then, when Jarred Land posted on his website that they wouldn't let us use the projector, literally hundreds of angry posts were up within an five hours. You tell me they don't support us."
 
Sorry EL, a moment of childish weakness. I pulled my post (so to speak) as you can see ....gone! I hope we can be friends.

By the way, where DO you live? The Beaches aren't so bad you know.
 
I agree Blue, 'we use less muscles to smile than to frown. : )

Sorry for my silliness too - no matter where you live, Sydney is a great town.

I represent the inner west.

El Stupido
 
Back
Top