The best books on screenwriting?

Hey all,

As a novice writer, I'm interested in getting some books on screenwriting, but I'm not wanting to get every book available on the subject (and there's a lot available). I'm interested in your suggestions about the best screenwriting books out there - what you've found the most helpful. I'm wanting suggestions on general knowledge books on screenwriting, but I'm also interested in books specificaly about character development, dialogue, and plot development.

Any suggestions you have will be most helpful to my screenwriting aspirations.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
 
I've read most of the books and what it comes down to I think is finding yer way how to write it. Except for the woman who co-wrote witness - she wrote a slim book on the subject - but who of them wrote great scripts?
I would say get three different colored index cards and just designate each color for the beg - mid - and end. Scenes are going to occur to you every which way. When a scene or a moment occurs to you - think - this will probably be in the middle or the ending etc. And just write it down. I would not get carried away with writing too much on those cards. Don't worry the poetry and details will be there when you come to write the scene. For example - you might have a card that reads EXT. AIRPORT - DAY Hank stumbles out of Shannon Airport carrying nothing but his mother's ashes in a bell jar wrapped in bubble wrap. He calls his brother. Maybe on the back of the card you can write a line of dialogue - but keep short. Then start organizing the cards and you'll see where you will need connective scenes etc. Have to run - hope it helps.
 
ps - the big secret is to write every day - especially in the beginning. Write at least ten minutes a day. If you have some bullshit job that's grinding yer ass up - still write 10 minutes and turnt he computer off - this way THEY don't WIN!!!
 
I hear Dan O'Bannon's screenwriting book is pretty good. He wrote ALIEN, TOTAL RECALL and RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD. Read some excerpts online and it seems like he has a no nonsense approach.
 
I've read most of the books and what it comes down to I think is finding yer way how to write it. Except for the woman who co-wrote witness - she wrote a slim book on the subject - but who of them wrote great scripts?

This always comes up in these threads, the companion expression being "those who can't do, teach". The flipside of that expression is "those that do, can't teach". You don't need to be a notable screenwriter to teach screenwriting. All the screenwriting books are the results of deconstructive research. An attempt to reverse engineer a desired final critique. They often provide a comprehensive approach, a formula and methodology. What is often missed is that this is more to organise the collection of tips for the presentation of the material.

The books can revolutionize your writing or destroy it depending on whether you use them as a crutch or a tool. A crutch is something you lean on, without it you fall. A tool is something you pick up when it is needed and if you decide to use it. Some books are useful for their tips, some for motivation/inspiration, while the bibles are must reading just to gain access to the shorthand when talking to other writers. Use these tools to supplement your style and provide deeper understanding of what you are already doing. Use them to analyse scripts that didn't work and find out why. Use them as razors to refine a bloating script. Use them when you get stuck. Use them to understand the bones of a story.

My two biggest personal tips would be: to leave room in the script for other creatives (actor/director/production design) to put themselves into, leave room for creative misinterpretation - inspire don't dictate; and take proper formatting seriously - put a lot of work into it. These two factors are present in every script that I have read that excited me.

So onto some recommendations:

One of my favourites is "sequence theory", the main book is called The Sequence Approach which I believe is Paul Gullino (my well-worn copy is missing the cover). It presents the basic principles of a movie structure as defined by the sequence theory and then applies it to a wide range of films, some which fit it exactly, others that deviate from it. In the first couple of chapters it also introduces some key concepts such as the types of dramatic tension. These first couple of chapters are the most useful and succint resource I've ever come across.

"Monomyth theory" more commonly known as "hero's journey" is one of the bibles. Joseph Campbell is behind it and it attempts to summarise all the world's enduring mythology into one theory. It is very useful but also dangerous. Many a writer's creativity has been destroyed through misuse of this one but the terminology within it is important lingo to understand. Treat it as a tool and you'll be fine. The original text is The Hero with a Thousand Faces but there are many iterations of this theiry both by Campbell himself and others. A lot of commonly understood plot terms used by screenwriters are defined here. I recommend The Writer's Journey by Christopher Vogler. It is a good interpretation of the hero's journey that critiques Campbell's version, provides a few more tools and but mostly importantly is laid out in a very accessible way making it easy to look up and use as a reference.

Syd Field is another important name. He has a few works, I think I have a pdf of one his books somewhere I got from school way back but haven't read it. I have seen a video lecture that summarises it. I've half watched it twice and have been meaning to give it my full attention one of these days. I suspect it would maybe the most immediately useful to your requirements right now. I suspect his book would introduce all the key terminology but like I say I haven't read it. But he is one of the most oft-cited screenwriting teachers.

Robert McKee's Story, pretty sure this is available as a text, I have an audio recording of a lecture a friend gave me. I'd maybe describe this as more of a mindset and collection of tips than a formula. Some are passionate about this approach, other's dismissive. Either way it's one of the more popular resources.

Blueprint for Screenwriting by Rachel Ballon is a text that gives you the basics. There are many such introductory texts, the sort that appears on the reading list for screenwriting 101 classes. They all contain more or less the same material but if you are a beginner a beginning text might not be out of place. This one may or may not be the best but it is well laid out and easy to read. I haven't really needed to refer back to this since I first read it but gaining a good foundation for understanding the more advanced texts might be wise. Covers structure, character, dialogue etc

Film Art is not a screenwriting text, it is about the visual language of film. It might not hurt to have an overview of what the filmmaker's will do with your script. Nothing in here should literally appear in the script but an understanding of the visual language doesn't hurt. This is the best introductory text I have read. It is more about critiquing film than making film but in doing so covers the key concepts. The authors are David Bordwell and Kristin Thompson.
 
Kevin's right by the way when he says you just have to write. And do so every day. That is the key. That will achieve more than any of these books. And it won't be until you are an experienced writer that these books show their real benefit, the bibles are targeted at writers who are almost but not quite there.

Battuta - is this the one you recommended?: http://www.amazon.com/Dan-OBannons-Guide-Screenplay-Structure/dp/1615931309
I've got time for Dan O'Bannon, think I'll check it out.
 
Of course it depends what kind of films you want to write. Altman once said he makes shoes, hollywood makes socks, and he's not interested in making socks. I just think if you write from yer gut and with feeling you'll be ok. A beg, mid, end is all there is to it. If you write from yer unconscious - by which I mean feel it - you'll be tapping into all that joseph cambell and vogler talk about. But it will have blood and saliva and after birth on it if it comes from yer life not some paradigm in a book. All the myths are in yer belly. I feel that's where they should be kept. Egg Born is right these guys do 'deconstruct' - but to my way of thinking it's dead in the water once you put a label on it. The more personal the more universal. And blah blah blah......
 
Hey again, all. My situation is kind of unique. I actually have a degree in broadcasting and film from many moons ago. But I've forgotten most of what I've learned. I actually never used it, except for being on a state film commission. I've had a recent interest in turning many of my ideas (developed over the years) into screenplays. The problem with writing every day is that I want to be a little more comfortable with what I'm writing. I don't want to churn out any junk (I mean, after the rewrites) - hence, the request for book suggestions.

I have an ample amount of creativity, but little discipline. I was hoping that what I read in books would help channel that unbridled creativity into more of a productive direction (if that makes any sense). Any further suggestions?

Thank you for your input thus far. I really appreciate your insights.
 
What if your gut is wrong?

Okay, this is just plain wrong and spammy - but I have a book. "The best book on the practical nuts-and-bolts mechanics of writing a screenplay I've ever read." -- Ted Elliott, co-writer SHREK, PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN, THE LONE RANGER, ALADDIN, more. http://www.amazon.com/Secrets-Action-Screenwriting-revised-ebook/dp/B006KTHKSA/

I always recommend Michael Hauge's book as a good primer on screenwriting - he covers all of the basics.
You can teach yourself by reading and *studying* stacks of screenplays (I did) but you still end up with a lot of trial and error trying to figure why one things works and another does not. The problem is that there are probably close to a million screenplays in circulation in any given year - and 98% of them just plain suck (even though their writers think they are brilliant). You want to be in the 2% that's good, not one of those who thinks their writing is amazing... but they are wrong.

- Bill
 
"What if your gut is wrong?"
Well then you better run out and get the book Mr Elliott's recommends I guess.
Personally - If those are the films he's written - I'd say stick with yer guts - even if they're wrong :)
I've never seen
SHREK, PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN, THE LONE RANGER, ALADDIN, - but my gut is telling me I'm not missing much.
But then again maybe my gut is wrong.

 
WC Martell's book, "The Secrets Of Action Screenwriting" is great, as are his others (I've read three of them). And it's not just great for 'action screenwriters' - it goes well beyond genre. So another big plug there, and a thanks as always for it to Mr. Martell, as well as for his continued participation on this forum. We are *very* lucky to have him involved here...

But as I always do, I'm going to recommend David Trottier's "The Screenwriter's Bible" as the *first* book to read on screenwriting, because it covers all of *the basics* so well. Then go on to others, like Bill's, next (and buy the e-book, which is not a collector's item and is thus actually affordable). Other favorites of mine are McKee's "Story", Dara Marks' "Inside Story", and numerous other titles I'm forgetting at the moment. I've probably read close to 20 by now.

But again, I'd *highly* recommend *starting* with "The Screenwriter's Bible".

And write. A lot. And read scripts. A lot. And study films, good and bad, a lot...
 
"Monomyth theory" more commonly known as "hero's journey" is one of the bibles. Joseph Campbell is behind it and it attempts to summarise all the world's enduring mythology into one theory. It is very useful but also dangerous. Many a writer's creativity has been destroyed through misuse of this one but the terminology within it is important lingo to understand. Treat it as a tool and you'll be fine. The original text is The Hero with a Thousand Faces but there are many iterations of this theiry both by Campbell himself and others. A lot of commonly understood plot terms used by screenwriters are defined here. I recommend The Writer's Journey by Christopher Vogler. It is a good interpretation of the hero's journey that critiques Campbell's version, provides a few more tools and but mostly importantly is laid out in a very accessible way making it easy to look up and use as a reference.

This.
 
I've read The Writer's Journey and Hero With A Thousand Faces. It's helped with coming up with the arc of your story, and your character. I also agree with writing every day. Get something out. You'll be surprised by how much better you get just from continuously writing stuff down. I'm constantly writing. I do stand up comedy in addition to writing screenplays and writing my stand up bits and acts has helped my screenwriting as well, and vice-versa. Also, READ SCRIPTS THAT HAVE ALREADY BEEN WRITTEN if you can get your hands on them. THAT will help immensely also.

My two cents.
 
I've read Mckee about 4 times and all Joseph Campbell. I kind of get more from Campbell than what is just useful in screenwriting. Anyway, the book I like the best for screenwriting is Lew Hunter's Screewriting 434. It provides the best process for writing a screenplay IMHO
 
Thanks Ted.

The thing with screenwriting books is that you want to be a seeker, not a parrot. You want to find things that works and you can use, not just blindly follow whatever the book says to do.

Screenwriting is a strange type of writing because what you write is suitable for training puppies with, until someone buys the screenplay and makes the film. That means we do not create anything alone - we do it *with* hundreds of other people. A finished screenplay is just the beginning - from there it has to be made into a movie. As someone with a stack of non-movies - scripts that are great for lining a bird cage or could be recycled to make toilet tissue - doing all of that work for nothing (okay, sometimes money) is frustrating. But results are what count. Results in writing pages. Results in having people who hate you and want you to fail also want to read your screenplay. Results in having screenplays sold. Results in having screenplays made. Results in having lots of complete strangers pay to see that dreadful film that began with your screenplay.

Find what works - you may not like the method that leads to the best results, but writing a screenplay is not for *our* entertainment, it's for those millions of folks who buy tickets. Though, you gotta love writing - or all of those bird cage liners will be pure torture.

- Bill

PS: SHREK is an Oscar winner.
 
Hey again all, I thank you sincerely for your suggestions. You have opened my eyes to books I never knew existed - and I appreciate your contributions to my search. I do get that these are tools, and I plan on reading a lot of scripts - and writing a lot. I'm just trying to be extra dilligent about all this writing business. I just feel like I have a limited opportunity to get it right.

Again, thank you for all your advice. I am going to look up all of your suggestions, start ordering, and start reading - and of course writing. Thanks again.
 
Check out The Portable Film School by D.B Gilles it has really good advice and tips on writing screenplays it also has examples of what a screenplay should look like.
 
I have a MFA in screenwriting and I have read almost all the books mentioned here, (not just heard about them) some of them I have read multiple-mulitple times. I've also had two feature scripts produced, and others optioned, I have written for TV Shows on cable TV, etc. etc...ad nauseum....and I have taught screenwriting at a University for 11 years, all to get to my point- which is to convince you to read the very best book I have EVER read about screen writing which is Save The Cat by Blake Snyder. Its like reading McKee's Story and Syd Field's book rolled up into one. Its practical and easy to read. Snyder who past away a few years ago was a working professional screenwriter with big time credits.
 
Back
Top