Tapes

dvxdu

Member
It's been a while since I used my DVX100 and it looks like they no longer make the tapes I used to use (AY-DVM63MQ or AY-DVM63PQ). What are they recommending these days?

thanks!
 
doesnt really matter much....just stick to a particular type ...wet lube or dry. Sony is wet...the rest are dry lube. since u were using the panny tapes which is dry lube...u can get another dry lube type (regular old panny tapes or another brand). People recommend not using different brands and personally i have only used panasonic tapes so far but it really is the lube thing that is important.
 
AY-DVM63MQ are discontinued, but not the newer AY-DVM63AMQ. (Advanced Master Quality)

The AMQ are the best tapes available IMHO.

As mentioned, stay with one brand. If you need to use another brand, clean your head before switching of brand.
 
It's been a while since I used my DVX100 and it looks like they no longer make the tapes I used to use (AY-DVM63MQ or AY-DVM63PQ). What are they recommending these days?

thanks!

I still buy the AY-DVM63PQ tapes. I think they are cheaper than the AMQ's but they still give great quality. There should be a side-by-side comparison of all the popular types of minidv tapes.
 
you're not going to have better quality in the footage that you get based on what tapes you utilize. the only thing that they have that much influence over as to the footage is whether or not you'll have to deal with any glitches or dropouts. higher quality tapes are slightly less prone to them than the cheaper ones.
now if you're talking about a comparison of how many dropouts you get on average with a particular tape, that would be a great idea, but you'd have to do a LOT of testing and watching everything play back in real time, just looking for a glitch or dropout.
 
I try not to, but i am pressured in to playing back skateboard tricks directly on my camera and I get very few dropouts. Probably a ratio around 1:20 in that area.
 
I try not to, but i am pressured in to playing back skateboard tricks directly on my camera and I get very few dropouts. Probably a ratio around 1:20 in that area.

That's why I always throw my capture cam in my bag while I'm on a shoot. I hate doing playback in my camera.
 
Not enough room in my case. I think I need a bigger one.... But I might shove it in my pocket so I don't wear out the heads.
 
Back
Top