T1i opinions

Saddler

Well-known member
I'd like a GH1 but I don't want a slow "video lens" for $900. I want a GH1 body only for $1k that can record higher data rates and output uncompressed via HDMI. So, for now I bought a T1i and tested it out yesterday. The image for stills is noticeably better than that of the 350D that it's replacing, mainly due to the extra bandwidth in the ISO. The video, it can produce some nice results with my cheap EF 1.8 50mm and EF-S 10-22mm. The camera is light so the video is shaky, and that minor caffeinated hand shake is a killer for video on the T1i; in 720p there is at times very noticeable jelly FX - like a kid who applied a really strong wave distortion in AE to let us know that we're now entering the dream sequence of the flashback part of the film, as narrated to us. In 1080p, not only is the 20p useless because it's below our threshold for persistence of vision, but it's truly, truly JELLO-tastic. The kit lens actually seems to produce better results due to the IS.

So, it's a cheap camera and when there's not much movement it produces 35mm lens creativity for filming with a nice clean noise-free image in lower lighting unlike the HVX200. I haven't yet tried grading any of the footage.
 
Back
Top