syncing audio timecode with two dvx100 cameras

lukism

New member
I am gearing up to shoot a two camera feature, using a dvx100 and a dvx100a. Sound will be recorded through a mixer back to both the cameras as well as straight to protools (onto a harddrive).

What is the best approach with setting up timecode? Is there a way to jam the dvx100 to the sound guy's timecode generator? Since we will be running two cameras, I imagine that the timecodes should be different on both to avoid confusion in FCP. Or can they have the same timecode as long as the tapes are labeled separately when importing? Is there a way to sync timecode on two separate DVX cameras?

Any help/advice is appreciated.

Thanks so much
 
There is no mechanical timecode sync possible on a DVX100 or DVX100A. You could try having the audio guy mix down all usable audio onto one track, and sending you an audio timecode signal on the other track. Otherwise, no, you can't sync to his TC generator.

You could do it the hard way and make sure that each DVX was pointing at the TC slate whenever you start a take, so at least the editor could visually line 'em up, I guess...
 
knowing that syncing timecode is nearly impossible, what is the best approach without a TC slate?

my thought is to slate both of the cameras the same, and call it out for audio, much the way a film shoot would work.

knowing we won't shoot more than 50 hours of tape per camera, I could set one camera for a zero hour starting timecode (with a new TC hour for each subsequent tape) and the other camera with a starting TC of 50 hour for the first tape.

does this make sense?

thanks for the input!
 
Sync'ing timecode between cameras is easily possible. Sync'ing them to the slate is what's not really possible. So yeah, clap & slate is one way to do it.

If you're going to be recording from the recorder back to the cameras, can your mixer supply a timecode audio track? That'd ensure perfect sync between both cameras and the audio recorder.
 
I'll check on the TC out (via xlr) to one of the inputs with the sound mixer. The sound mixer is NYC right now working, and we have plans to work everything out this weekend.

Theoretically speaking, this xlr timecode will show up on the lcd screen, no?

I am beginning to think that keeping the timecodes separate on the two cameras is the way to go, so no two tapes have the same timecode to avoid mix-ups in post. but maybe if the tapes are labelled by camera, perhaps that is enough to avoid confusion.

sorry for the lag in response, not much opportunity to get online here in vermont, but i appreciate the feedback.

this is my first two camera video shoot, which is the reason for some of my anxiety.
 
For live events (concerts etc), I only have to sync it once with a camera flash or something since all the cameras don't cut.

If you're gonna cut, make sure you slate everytime. If it's unscripted, I'd suggest writing in sequential take numbers. Seriously. A few months ago, I edited a reality show pitch where they didn't... spent a whole week syncing stuff.
 
Back
Top