SXS card wallet

In case anyone is interested, a wallet is available at PortaBrace:
[h=1]Porta-Brace PB-SXS
Memory Card Organizer[/h]
 
I've been using Case Logic JDC-6 flash drive cases for about ten years. They hold up to 12 SxS cards perfectly and cost about $6 -- plus they have a heavy duty zipper for security.
 
Is there a system (maybe two wallets one red, held by different people!) to differentiate between clean and dirty media.

S
 
The Case Logics do come in different colors, but using two cases is too complicated and easy to mess up. All my cards are labeled and numbered so on most shoots I just use them in numerical order.

But the technique I use for documentaries, run & gun, and multi-cam shoots (where chaos is likely to be happening), I have small yellow rubber bands that go around empty cards. If a card has a rubber band, it is empty, formatted, and ready to roll. If a card does not have a rubber band --- DON'T PUT IT IN A CAMERA. That system has worked perfectly for years and years. The rubber bands are cheap (throw them away after each use) and it is impossible to use the card without taking the band off.
 
I label my cards "Front" and "Back" with a bold Magic marker and put them in my ugly homemade wallet. When I have filled a card, I put it back in the wallet with it turned backwards. The cards are numbered and I use them in random order to equalize the usage. The equalization might be unnecessary because I don't think I will live long enough to wear out a SXS card!
 
The Case Logics do come in different colors, but using two cases is too complicated and easy to mess up. All my cards are labeled and numbered so on most shoots I just use them in numerical order.

But the technique I use for documentaries, run & gun, and multi-cam shoots (where chaos is likely to be happening), I have small yellow rubber bands that go around empty cards. If a card has a rubber band, it is empty, formatted, and ready to roll. If a card does not have a rubber band --- DON'T PUT IT IN A CAMERA. That system has worked perfectly for years and years. The rubber bands are cheap (throw them away after each use) and it is impossible to use the card without taking the band off.


Great system! All of my crew did the same thing with batteries......stopped a lot of problems. I think I will do it with the SxS cards.
 
I use strips of soft yellow electrical tape over the contacts of my batteries to do the same type of thing. It seemed rubber bands didn't work so well on the batteries, plus if I'm charging the batteries during a shoot it is easier to change their status back and forth. I just move the tape from the contacts to the side of the battery or vice versa. Even though all my current batteries now have fuel gauges on them, I just find it so much faster to look for the yellow tape. Especially when I get back from a long day of shooting and I can instantly see which batteries need charging and which ones don't even need to be handled.
 
The Case Logics do come in different colors, but using two cases is too complicated and easy to mess up. All my cards are labeled and numbered so on most shoots I just use them in numerical order.

But the technique I use for documentaries, run & gun, and multi-cam shoots (where chaos is likely to be happening), I have small yellow rubber bands that go around empty cards. If a card has a rubber band, it is empty, formatted, and ready to roll. If a card does not have a rubber band --- DON'T PUT IT IN A CAMERA. That system has worked perfectly for years and years. The rubber bands are cheap (throw them away after each use) and it is impossible to use the card without taking the band off.

Doug,

I thought I recognized your name. I bought the Vortex Media tutorial for the EX1 as well as your warm cards!!! When are you going to produce a tutorial on the X70? Please! I know there are things I still need to learn.
 
Thanks for being a loyal customer. I'm not planning on doing anything for the X70 because it has been out too long already and I missed the wave, but I'm about to embark on producing a Z150 tutorial series and I think a lot of the information will also apply to the X70. Ask again in a couple of months. :-)
 
Back
Top