switching tape brands, a cardinal sin??

SimonCreations

Active member
This is kind of urgent since I am going to be doing some filming tomorrow and I have no more panasonic dv tapes. So far I have used nothing but Panasonic tapes, but I happen to have about 10 un-used sony tapes.. Is it going to kill my camera to use sony tapes for one shoot?

I know that I need to clean the heads when switching between brands, but I don't have any head cleaner tapes.. maybe I can pick some up somewhere localy. Do I need to go to a camera store for that, or would somplace like radioshack have what I need?

What happens if I don't clean the camera head and just pop in the sony tapes? will my dvx catch on fire?? :cry:

thanks!
 
i would sell them on ebay and with that money just buy some panasonic tapes. wet lube tapes (sony) + dry lube tapes (panasonic) = no good
 
DON'T use the Sony tapes -- they get gummy in the DVX. If you can't get more Panasonic tapes, use the highest quality TDK you can find/afford.
 
There is a lot of information and disinformation out there. There is also a lot of anecdotal information. Sony has claimed in written comments that their lube is dry. Everyone's lube seems to be a secret. It has also been suggested that if you have been using one brand of tape for a long time, you are more susceptible to problem changing brand that if you have not been "brand loyal." Generally, the safest option is to pick one brand and stick with it. In a pinch, however, you may want to go ahead and use a different brand. Just be prepared to clean your heads if you notice any dropout or what not.
 
I'm resurrecting this post as I have a similar problem and I'm not sure the question was really answered.

I have a 100B and have only used the MQ tapes - and planned only to ever use the MQ tapes (though they're ridiculously expensive). However, I just got a job (I think...) filming weddings for a guy who wants to provide his own non-Panasonic tapes to be used for each event. He said he only uses brand-new, higher grade tapes; they're just not Panasonic.

He won't reimburse me for using my own tapes, so I'd be losing around 20-30 bucks an event to keep with the "one brand only" ideal.

Is my beautiful new camera going to be ok if I put different brand tapes in on occasion or should I hold strong, even to the point of spending over $100/month on tapes that could otherwise be free?

Please Help! Thanks!
 
All I can do is tell you that I recently did a shoot in a small town (I was waiting on an order of Panasonic tapes from B&H) and was forced to use some TDK's. About 3/4 through the shoot the red x came on signifying the heads needed cleaning. When I got the tapes to my studio there were glitches sporadically through out all four of the tapes. I can't swear that it was the tapes but I won't try it again to find out. I can tell you that, perhaps foolishly, I ran an MQ tape that had some space on it before cleaning the heads just to check and it had no glitches. I would stick to Panasonics. It may be worth the money to spare your heads. Again this is just my experience.
 
I'm also a new 100b user and based upon all your comments will stick to the Panasonic tapes.

Are the less expensive dvm-60ej tapes also acceptable? Certainly saves money over the pq-63 tapes.
 
However, I just got a job (I think...) filming weddings for a guy who wants to provide his own non-Panasonic tapes to be used for each event. He said he only uses brand-new, higher grade tapes; they're just not Panasonic.

He won't reimburse me for using my own tapes, so I'd be losing around 20-30 bucks an event to keep with the "one brand only" ideal.

Keep the tapes he gives you and use your own. Save the others for other shoots where you need people to shoot for you and offer up those tapes to them. Or hawk the "higher grade tapes" on the For Sale forums/ebay and get back as much as you can.
 
hey, i've just finnished a degree in photography and video, i've been using the uni's DVX's so far and have used a range of different tapes in most of their cameras (they have about 30 DVX's). I've never had a problem with new tapes, they have always recorded fine. I'm particularly partial to JVC M-DV60DE. theirs a shop near me that will do me 5 for £7.50. not bad at all.

However this is the first i have heard about not using differnt tapes, i have just bought a DVX and i want to look after my own equipment really well, but i don't really fancy forking out a fiver a go on tape when i can get it so cheap.

ive never had a problem using this tape before with uni equipment, does anyone think i will have trouble now. how could they get away with making it so that tapes aren't intercompatible? do you think i will break my camrea or have any adverse effects by using a different brand's tape on a long term basis.

thanks.
 
Always use single and highest brand !!!

Always use single and highest brand !!!

I guess different tape brands use different complex compound pasted on their surface. Dry type compound is considered more suitable and long lasting than liquid type.

Also, dry types of various brands vary in their chemical compositions. This will cause a certain kind of reaction on the surface of DVX-heads if used without cleaning in-between.

Panasonic does have two brands of tapes. I think Master series is dry type and Professional series is liquid type (please guide me if i'm wrong).

I'm using AMQ series which is better (i guess) than MQ series as its also dry-type from panasonic. I guess it should be considered a sin in changing differnet brand tapes. ;-)

Any suggestions !!!
 
hmm, from what people are saying i think i will just use the JVC tapes that i can get cheep then. won't bother with expensive panasonic tapes. does anyone have any experience with different tapes, and their quality. IE. does your video look better if you buy £5 tape than a one for £2.

dunno, seems like a bit of a sticky one. could be quite important to how long the heads on the camera last but i don't know.

HaroonGhauree - surly they couldn't use chemicals that would react with other manufacturas brands of tape could they. usually these things have to conform to a certain type of interfearance standard (i think any way).

dunno any more advice, i'd like to get to the bottom of this
 
I have a 100B and have only used the MQ tapes - and planned only to ever use the MQ tapes ...-... However, I just got a job (I think...) filming weddings for a guy who wants to provide his own non-Panasonic tapes to be used for each event. He said he only uses brand-new, higher grade tapes; they're just not Panasonic.

He won't reimburse me for using my own tapes, so I'd be losing around 20-30 bucks an event to keep with the "one brand only" ideal.

As long as it's YOUR equipment, I'd make it clear that it is YOUR decision what goes in it. It sounds a bit like he has a stock of 'sh*tty tapes left that he needs to get rid off so he can save a couple of nickels and dimes on costs... This since he doesn't mind you using other tapes, just as long as he doesn't have to pay for it.

Selling all these tapes on e-bay or something, like someone already said here, sounds like a better idea.

Good luck
 
thanks for all the advice guys. I'm not happy about it, but I decided to just use his tapes. They're the kind I use on my other camera so I figure I'll give it a shot and just make sure I clean the heads between every switch. I hope it works as it's definitely the cheaper solution. I'll keep you guys posted on whether or not I start getting dropped frames.
 
Back
Top