Stressing out.

Honestly, I would forget about the "Tarantino trick". He is a masterful writer of dialog and that is the only way it works. It's not really a trick, it's a style and it requires a strong grasp on writing dialog.

There have been some fantastic comments here, principally the comment from Barry. If I were you I would heed that advice and/or partner with a writer, if for nothing else than feedback/critique.

Just my $0.01 9/10 (Turns out being a mod isn't a high paying job afterall :grin: )
 
Yeah, I'm running into a similar problem. I'm working on an adaption of a friend's short story for the contest, I got a draft that I love but it runs 8 pages.

Probably just going to take a break from it, then look at it again in a week or two. Can't start filming anyway till my school's winter break is over.

Good luck with yours.
 
... And the conflict isn't a big one ...
That's usually the opposite of what you want unless you are going for some kind of existential thing.

"You owe me two dollars ... and I want you to do 'X' about it". Small conflict.

"You ruined my entire life ... and I want you to do 'X' about it". Big conflict.

There's two major sources of conflict. Internal and external. Figure out what kind yours is and amp it up.
 
Last edited:
A number of people have commented about their inability to produce a decent story in the six minute limitation of DVXUSER fests. How about six WORDS? Hemmingway once won a $10 bet that he could create a complete short story in six words. He won with the following: "For Sale: Baby Shoes. Never worn."

If you haven't stumbled upon this site yet, you should bookmark it for inspiration (and a few smiles.) A number of authors took the challenge to create six word stories and a very talented artist illustrated some of the winners. There's a very nice PDF file of the illustrated stories you can download and some of them are awful clever:

http://www.lulu.com/content/787925
 
-Same here, I love doing them
-This story is about a man
-Billy, want to be my friend

I didnt find that link Johnson posted any fun, i dont' get it. Its just pictures lol
 
Personally I don't limit my writing. I write until its done, then I rewrite and rewrite and rewrite until it's perfect. Then I film and cut down to six minutes or whatever the time limit is. By the way, on my third rewrite, I'm really picky about what stays and what goes. Most of it goes because I tend to write long scripts just because I write everything that comes to mind. It's easier to cut bad than to create good is my motto! Don't limit your pages until you are on your second of third rewrite. Who knows, maybe it will be a great feature script that you accidentally wrote!
 
Back
Top