Still image shadow hue - it's green!

kippard

Active member
It has been happening a lot to me. I'm a complete hack shooting often with auto settings save focus sometimes. Shadows - where the light turns to shadow - on skin often have a green hue regardless of indoor or our and clothing color. Just what the sensor does? What should I be looking out for, white balance, exposure, image softness/grain? As I try to stepup my technical shooting ability, appreciate your advice. Here is a sample of what I am talking about which I did a little telestrator on in Photoshop: http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/7518/gh1001.jpg

Thanks!
 
I see what you are referring to - not sure I would have spotted it had you not pointed it out.

That's not a white balance or exposure problem - I think that's a camera issue. Not a Cannon by any chance is it?
 
I see what you are referring to - not sure I would have spotted it had you not pointed it out.

That's not a white balance or exposure problem - I think that's a camera issue. Not a Cannon by any chance is it?

It's my lovely GH1, of course. Thanks!
 
Just asked because I found reference in a net search to Cannon having a green cast in the shadow. But yours is a Panasonic Gh1 - so not connected.

I can't think why it would do that but I think it is a camera issue rather than anything you have done.
 
Do you have any examples of this in other situations? That outdoor shot is what's I'd expect considering the green of the nearby trees. Are you shooting raw? If so you can try messing with white balance a bit in post, in case that's off. I copied it and tried warming it up, the pictuere looks a lot better that way. What ISO were you on? Once you get too high on that you can start to see weird artifacts, including wrong colors.
 
Last edited:
I don't see a whole lot of green in that picture.

Anyway, when you hit the white balance button on the GH1, press DOWN instead of UP. You'll get a color adjuster where you can dial in/out some color.
 
This is a still taken from video footage, yes? If so, this is the codec, or some process the GH1 does when shooting video. I've encountered this often, as well. It's most notable on skin tones. I've just chosen to ignore it, since I can't do anything about it.
 
OK, so someone else HAS seen this. Thank you, everyone. I shoot a lot of people (skin) and this happens on too many exposures regardless of lighting (indoor and out), clothing, surroundings, etc. I could show you other examples, but it is that same green-grey hue where light turns to shadow. These are JPG (not RAW) stills, highest resolution, not video grabs. I do appreciate the help, all!
 
Shooting RAW and creating a profile using something like the X-Rite color checker passport will resolve this issue.
 
Back
Top