Spirits: A Vietnamese Ghost Story

Re: Spirits: A Vietnamese Ghost Story

I had to double check on the 2-pop forum before I could believe this was shot on the DVX100.

It's great to see someone who fully understands the light range limit of the camera. Truely superb pictures. I'm hoping the whole movie turns out as good as the trailer is!
 
Re: Spirits: A Vietnamese Ghost Story

It looks very impressive. Funny, I hear people always referring to the 'low light' issues with the DVX. I wonder what people consider to be low light and what the alternative is. If your shooting something that is such a low light that it is going to hurt you, what magical camera is available that is significantly going to make a dramatic difference?

I can't think of a film that is shot in low light to the point it hurts. Even Finchers work, appearing dark and brooding, is lighted extremley careful with Kinos and pushing as far as possible.

Enough talk about the low light limits! If your shooting a wedding, get a spot!
 
Re: Spirits: A Vietnamese Ghost Story

I hope you're not referring to my other posthttp://www.DVXuser.com/cgi-bin/DVX/YaBB.cgi?board=Events;action=display;num=1071206812 about low-light :)

I was only asking due to the application we're hoping to use it for (Home-made Mini35). Shooting in low light with the DVX100 for me is very acceptable. It's not that far behind the Sony DSR-500. (Saying that, I've only used the DVX100 and DSR-500 side-by-side in low light once at the UK's MaxPower event in London. Even then, I had stretched blacks on the DVX100)
 
I had no realRe: Spirits: A Vietnamese Ghost Story

I had no realRe: Spirits: A Vietnamese Ghost Story

Honestly I wasn't referring to anyone's POST in general, I have just seen more POSTS on this subject recently. I was fortunate enough today to get on the MASTER and COMMANDER ship, I shot some really nice footage from down below where the cannons are and the lighting was not ideal at all; basically light bulbs rigged up on a string with some natural light coming in through the port holes and the DVX performed wonderfully. The footage is beautiful, with a nice soft warm accent on the bronze cannons and the outside almost washed out in an almost Spielbergish way (A soft glow as if a hundred kinos were pointing in. Seriously had an ER feel to it). Nevertheless, I had no real lightsource and it looks perfect. I paid very close attention to the iris and shutter speed.

So, no, I wasn't exactly referring to you! Just the myriad of posts I have seen recently that raises questions about the low-light limitatons of my little baby. I have no complaints!

I got some other footage in an engine room of another ship and you can imagine the lighting down there, and it looks really really good!
 
Re: Spirits: A Vietnamese Ghost Story

was this movie ACTUALLY shot on the dvx100? because there is no mentioning about this on the website
 
Re: Spirits: A Vietnamese Ghost Story

this was the original post found on 2-pop dvx100 forum:
-------------------------------------

Hello Everyone,

I am Co-producing this picture and we shot it in DVX-100 24pA mode.

Check it out!

http://www.spiritsthemovie.com

Feed me with feed back please!

thanks

PacificPearl
 
Re: Spirits: A Vietnamese Ghost Story

Is this an Indie film or major release?, cuz my friend says that director is famous and directed lots film only i cant remember what film he said,

any way it looks very pro!

No, need jus found out he directed Traffic and Oceans 11 and others
 
Re: Spirits: A Vietnamese Ghost Story

I think you're thinking of Steven Soderbergh....

Victor Vu directed "Spirits..." - he also directed a short called "Firecracker" in 1997 and a feature called "First Morning" in 2003.
 
Re: Spirits: A Vietnamese Ghost Story

Very nice low light and exposure latitude... I really loved the constant camera movement as well. Music I think needs to be tuned a little but was very nice. Good work.
 
Back
Top