Sony Z1 - Component Output and i.Link Input

freezor

New member
Hello,

a big problem over here with my Sony Z1. I have a JVC HD broadcast monitor with component inputs. When I cut my projects in Final Cut Pro it would be nice to connect the monitor to my G5 in order to have a good preview. I tried this by going out by Firewire to my Z1 and then I connected the component cable to the component out of my Sony Z1 --- and nohing happened. I have the signal on the camera (and on all the other Video outputs) but not on component. Is it possible that the component output does not work when having a signal at the i.Link? Has anybody tried this yet??

thx, Gerd
 
Have you tried running a video card with dual outputs and then setting your 2nd output to be your preview monitor? Thats what im doing.

Running 3 monitors off of one nVidia 7800 GS 256mb card. first output is to a Matrox dualhead2go which lets 2 monitors plug into that, then the other DVI output goes to my 21" monitor. Then in my NLE i can select that 21" monitor to show a realtime full screen preview, just like if I plugged in my FX1 via component inputs to the monitor.
 
freezor said:
Why is viewing of HDV not so easy as viewing DV? Do you have any links that I can learn?
Can't ever happen, because of the way HDV works. It's a group-of-frames compression system (where the encoder actually needs to buffer up a whole group of frames, usually 1/2-second worth, and then compresses them all at once). With DV, every frame stands unique. So firewire transfer can be as easy as outputting a single frame, and everything works -- the FCP timeline can put a frame on the bus, and the camera can receive and decode that and display it. You can scrub as fast or slow as you want, and it all just works.

With HDV that can't happen. You could maybe do a firewire preview by doing a "print to tape" operation, but you can't scrub the timeline and have it show up on the camcorder. HDV requires a whole group to be buffered up first before it can be transmitted.
 
Back
Top