Sony XLR-K1M Adapter and Microphone Kit on the A7s

Michael Erlewine

Well-known member
I read that the A7s will take the Sony XLR-K1M Adapter and Microphone Kit, which I have as part of a Sony 96GB HXR-NX30 Palm Size NXCAM HD Camcorder that I have. I can't see where I would connect it. Any ideas? If not, what are folks doing for better sound?
 
Yeah it should work, you'll need an flash bracket or some additional cold shoe mount though. The K1M has an electronic connection to the a7s's hot shoe, but the unit itself mounts on another cold shoe but the a7s only has one hot shoe. I thought about getting one but I picked up a beachtek DXA-Connect for now. I may reevaluate when sony's new adapter comes out that uses just one hot shoe for electronic connection and mechanical mounting.
 
NO. IT DOES NOT WORK. I have tested my NX30 adapter against an A7s, and the plug structure is slightly different and it simply does not fit into the hotshot plug.
 
Not work. That's what I thought! Too bad. I have other XLR adapters, including a BeackTek. Nice little camera the NX30. How about the floating sensor?. Closest thing to a 3-gimbal stabilizer in a tiny camera.
 
The Sony XLR-K1M should work with the A7s no? I thought it uses their new MI shoe. I have the XLR-K1M and I've used it on a Sony VG900 and Sony AX100 with no issue. The one that comes with the NX30 won't work because even though it looks the same it's using their older interface, but the standalone XLR-K1M that you can buy should work just fine. I believe they are in the process of making a smaller version of it as well that will be more suitable for smaller camera bodies.
 
The Sony XLR-K1M should work with the A7s no? I thought it uses their new MI shoe. I have the XLR-K1M and I've used it on a Sony VG900 and Sony AX100 with no issue. The one that comes with the NX30 won't work because even though it looks the same it's using their older interface, but the standalone XLR-K1M that you can buy should work just fine.

exactly, but the question was about the NX30 XLR adapter.
 
Well, unfortunately I have the one that came with the NX30, wihich looks to be identical, except for that adapter. I have a JuicedLink XLR box that will probably work fine.
 
Well, unfortunately I have the one that came with the NX30, wihich looks to be identical, except for that adapter. I have a JuicedLink XLR box that will probably work fine.

i have made enquires and cannot find anyone to swap out the plug head adapters for the current model. And I have the NX30, or our nonprofit does, just for the floating head stabilization. it is truly amazing. Also, we can give the NX30 to rank amateurs and get good results.
 
i have made enquires and cannot find anyone to swap out the plug head apaters for the current model.

That's good to know. Which we could, because the rest looks identical and it is a decent sound solution. If you come across someone that could do that, please let us know.
 
Ah the OP seemed to be talking about the k1m. I guess the k1m and the adapter bundled with some other cameras differ even though they look very similar. Good to know since I've seen people on ebay selling their bundled adapters as k1m's maybe not knowing whether or not they are the same.
 
Back
Top