Sony PMW-F3

no 1080 60p for slowmo, this is what I'm really looking forward to on the AF100

Totally agree. And I'm fairly surprised it doesn't have it. Almost as surprised as the NEX VG-10 not having 24p.

I'm a bit surprised because I thought the EX1/3 was a pretty decent technical leap past the competition at the time, but suddenly the company seems to be a half step behind.
 
um, did anyone notice the capability to record in s-log? that would be groundbreaking for cameras in this range!
 
is that a servo zoom rocker i spot on it?

weirdly enough why is sony saying it comes with three primes, yet showcases it with ultra and master primes? for some reason I don't think its going to come package together with three ultra primes?
 
Check out this photo
med_xd10101301_10_pmwf3l----_nl.jpg
That's a zoom rocker. I can't think of any cine lens that has motorised zoom control, which suggests that the rumours of Sony delivering a video-style zoom lens for the camera is true. This is pretty significant. It then becomes a massively attractive option for a whole range of productions that would otherwise avoid these large-sensor cameras.
 
where's that pic from? are you sure it's not photoshopped? it could be an illusion but the angle of the zoom rocker and the main handle look a little different ...
zoom rocker and cine lens combo has me 2nd guessing this

edit:
found where the pic is from. legit sony. post 18 has links to a uk site with image gallery
still doesn't make sense to have gears on the outside of the cine lens, no gear attachments and a zoom rocker
 
Last edited:
where's that pic from? are you sure it's not photoshopped? it could be an illusion but the angle of the zoom rocker and the main handle look a little different ...
zoom rocker and cine lens combo has me 2nd guessing this

edit:
found where the pic is from. legit sony. post 18 has links to a uk site with image gallery
still doesn't make sense to have gears on the outside of the cine lens, no gear attachments and a zoom rocker

Look further on the site:

"Sony F3 Original Mount for Zoom Lens
Sony plan to introduce a range of zoom lenses directly compatible with the F3 mount. More details will be revealed shortly. Zoom lens compatibility expands the operational flexibility of the F3 so it can be used for almost any application."

It's unlikely they are referring to a manual zoom lens.
 
Elsewhere I've seen two references of dubious authencitiy claiming that Fujinon was manufacturing video zooms for Sony's Super35 camera - which is huge when you think about it, Fujinon doesn't make cine-glass usually, and no one makes a video-style zoom for 35mm sensors, it's unheard of. The zoom ranges we're used to with video cameras are huge when we're talking about 35mm sensors.
 
"Price - Tentative Euro List Price. There are two models, one PMW-F3K with three lenses (35, 50, 85mm F2.0) - Euros 20,700, PMW-F3L body only model - Euros 14500"


Ouch. $20K body only...

edit: well we can almost be certain the three lenses are sony glass and not zeiss arri ultra or master primes for an extra 5K euros. Why their press release photos for the "lens" version show these I don't know, but thats confusing.
 
im still betting the AF100 to be the best bang for the buck. The zoom rocker is a cool feature for event guys. but for narrative filmmakers, i can take it or leave it. The price is what's most important now. I highly doubt it will be any where near the price of an af100.

yup, I was writing my post as the above poster. Price is where I expected it. three to four times as high as the AF100. F-SONY
 
well, that price killed it for me. as an ex1r user, I was looking forward to the same feature and option rich setup, but for 15 THOUSAND dollars less one could simply get an af100 that has more or less everything minus dual link...etc

I had a feeling once they announced log gamma recording and dual link that this was gunna be a (way) over 10k body :(
 
That's a bit crazy price level. Unless they post some amazing footage, I dunno what they are thinking lol.

I was in for $15K USD, then I heard it couldnt do 60fps at 1080p... but it has 35mm, but now $20K ? jesus. it's $5K less than the redx!

edit: although it has 4:4:4 with the dual link SDI mmm so maybe it can go up against (The current) red idk.

Sony would not put this in the CineAlta brand if it wasnt going to look good, and they do keep mentioning "for cinema" soooooooooooo now I sorta want it :D I'll wait for the footage. It's going to be tough. The thinking for me will be "why throw $5K after bad?"
 
Last edited:
I'm still not forming a full opinion on the thing until I see what comes out from under the sheets at InterBEE on the 17th. I think there's more that we're not being told.
 
Let's not forget RED is $25k for just the body.... I'm assuming the Sony will have LCD, EVF, I/Os, (plus PL mount) etc etc

Is it worth 2-3x the cost of an AF100? ... well, that is to be seen. If it resolves close to the 1.7k of an F35 and has 12 stops DR, as mentioned... plus the dual HD-SDI... then you can start to see how the pricing:features fit a middle ground between AF100 and similarly kitted R1.
 
Let's not forget RED is $25k for just the body.... I'm assuming the Sony will have LCD, EVF, I/Os, (plus PL mount) etc etc

plus the future servo zoom option in april... thats pretty important...not to me but a lot of wedding and event shooters. it would cost a lot more for an EX3 with a DoF adapter and all that extra weight and weird Frankenstein rigs. Its not native PL mount, it uses a PL adapter, so they seem to be betting a lot on the eng shooters.

oh and 4:4:4 with dual-link SDI but with that ur going to have to buy into the SR memory http://www.fdtimes.com/news/?p=1651

which i bet is going to cost the same price of an AF100 =)
 
It looks like the AF100 will be at the budget end of the market compared to the Sony/Red, in the UK the PMWF3 with three lenses will be List £18,000 but bet you could pick it up for 16,000 or less. The lens are at T2, so fast, and if you have an EX1 or EX3, same batteries etc saves a lot of money, the zoom will be a big feature.

A contender for the AF100. People with limited budgets no, mid range pros who shoot corporate and RED being too expensive for complex in its workflow, then is could be a real winner.
The other thing to remember Sony hold better value than Pani, all has to be taken in to consideration.
 
I think Sony is going to have a hard time selling this camera once Scarlet S35 is out.

It pretty much outdoes it in everyway, and a basic working package is going to be around 12 K or so, I'd figure.
 
Back
Top