SONY FS700 coupled with IFR5/ R5...ideal set up for run n' gun style

flean

Active member
Hello,

COuld you anyone share their experience with the FS 700 and the Sony 4k recorder in a run and gun style of shoot?

What would be the best rig for it? The whole thing seems cumbersome and heavy. I'm trying to find alternative to work efficiently in a fast moving environment with this cam? The Odyssey won't be released before our shoot so the Sony 4k recorder is our only option at the moment.

ANY REAL SUGGESTIONS ARE WELCOMED !!!

Here's a picture: This is definitely not the ideal set up for a run gun style!!
DSC07849.jpg
 
Last edited:
I'm not sure how the IFR5 setup attaches, I think its using an SDI cable.

What I'm getting at is, it doesn't necessarily need to be sitting right behind the FS700 like that. You could rig some sort of backpack like setup, or maybe a waist belt like setup, or maybe chest mounted.
 
I'm not sure how the IFR5 setup attaches, I think its using an SDI cable.

What I'm getting at is, it doesn't necessarily need to be sitting right behind the FS700 like that. You could rig some sort of backpack like setup, or maybe a waist belt like setup, or maybe chest mounted.

Being able to stick the interface and recorder in a backpack would be good.

Like an Alexa M.
 
I'd worry about venting and heat in a backpack, there seems quite a few airvents.

I just can't believe how ergonomically bad the combination is! Or the size of that IXR interface unit. The recorder + Battery wouldn't be so bad... Why on earth does the IXR have a screen and not be controlled via the 700s one?

cheers
Paul
 
I don't know... I think if you want to do run and gun, you're better off with the 7Q recorder. I do a ton of handheld stuff, and there is no way I could do it with the Sony recorder. Just too big. But the 7Q is pretty reasonable in size.
 
Dear Friends,

Disclaimer, I am the Director of Sales and Marketing for Convergent Design.

Gene, thank you for posting about our Odyssey7Q as a viable option for the Sony FS700.

Yes, I agree completely, for any handheld or run and gun work, and any other application, there are lots of advantages in using our Odyssey7Q.

First, it is smaller, lighter, lower power and lower cost.

Second, you get a wonderful, color calibrated 7.7" OLED Monitor.

Third, you get world class Focus Assist Tools making focus very easy.

Fourth, you get a very fast responding, calibrated Waveform Monitor, Histogram, Zebras, 1 to 1 and 2 to 1 Zoom.

Fifth, you do not need to purchase the Sony Interface Module, so the Odyssey7Q connects directly to the FS700 HD-SDI output with just a small, thin, HD-SDI 3G cable.

Six, our Media (our SSD's) costs only $395 for 256 GB and $795 for 512 GB.

Seventh, you can place two of our SSD's in our Odyssey7Q, for longer record times, and in a future firmware release, recording to two SSD's simultaneously for the ultimate in media safety.

And there are many other features built into the Odyssey7Q, such as Multi-Stream Monitoring (Quad Split), and a 4-Channel Live Switcher.
(Multi-Stream Monitoring works in HD, with up to four cameras simultaneously, but four FS700's in any Raw mode is not supported, at least not currently.)

-----------------

But, in my humble opinion, I place our Focus Assist Tools as the most important of these advantages.

Using our Enhanced Edge Mode (one of three Focus Assist modes that we offer), it is very easy to nail focus.

In this mode, the Odyssey7Q shows the edges that our unit can detect in the image.

If the edge is not sharp, then we show the edge in white (or dull gray).

If the edge is sharp, generally indicating that the feature is in focus, then the color of the ship edge (line) is Red, Blue, or Green, your choice.


Another Focus Assist Mode, is called Edge only.

In this mode, we only show the edges that are in Focus, and the background is black.

This was designed to make focusing extremely easy in rush situations.

In this mode, only the parts of the image that are in focus are visible. Out of focus areas are not visible. The effect is very obvious when doing a rack focus.

And we have the much more common Focus Assist Mode (Peaking), where we show the video with the sharp edges in Red, Green or Blue.

-----------------

And there are more advantages.

Respectfully,


Dan Keaton
Convergent Design
 
What would be really sweet is if someone sells (with Canadian availability :) ) the FS700R bundled with the 7Q, kind of like the F3+Gemini kit that is currently listed at B&H.
 
What would be really sweet is if someone sells (with Canadian availability :) ) the FS700R bundled with the 7Q, kind of like the F3+Gemini kit that is currently listed at B&H.

Dear Swink,

Thank you for the great idea!

Respectfully,


Dan Keaton
Convergent Design
 
What would be really sweet is if someone sells (with Canadian availability :) ) the FS700R bundled with the 7Q, kind of like the F3+Gemini kit that is currently listed at B&H.

I'm sure Vistek.ca will do it, they have done a combo package of the Canon C100 or Canon C300 with Atomos products (Ninja/Samurai) before.
 
fyi

i heard dan keaton speak at abel cine/nyc a few weeks ago.

he gave a very nice demo on the odyssey q7 monitors.

real impressive equipment.

i am very tempted to update my monitor.

ymmv

be well.

rob
smalltalk productions
nyc
 
Dear Rob,

It is very nice to hear that you were at Abel Cine for the Mopictive Event.

Thank you for the very kind words about the demo.

Repectfully,


Dan Keaton
Convergent Design
 
Dear Friends,

Disclaimer, I am the Director of Sales and Marketing for Convergent Design.

Gene, thank you for posting about our Odyssey7Q as a viable option for the Sony FS700.


Hello Dan,

I have been in contact with Andy at Convergent Design for a few months now. I was hoping that your Odyssey7Q was going to be ready to ship before our shoot starts in 2 weeks (october 6Th) but unfortunately it won't be ready on time. Of course, the Odyssey7q is no a brainer compared to the Sony recorder. I would have loved to have it.
Unfortunately I have to deal with the Sony 4k recorder for now and I'm trying the best, lightest configuration possible with this piece of equipment

Any ideas?

Fred
 
Last edited:
Back
Top