Sony a7s + Shogun Vs Blackmagic production camera

herakel

New member
Hi

I recently bought a Sony a7s camera and im also planning on buying a atomos shogun external recorder. However, i have been looking into the blackmagic production camera aswell and it seems quite good. So my question to you is wich setup is best, because they almost cost the same(ie sony a7s + shogun).
 
If you can afford it, both. They both kick out lovely images, and you'll have low-light and a 4K b-camera covered.

I have that exact setup (minus the annoying lack of the Shogun...still).

I think the A7S and shogun setup will cost you a little more actually. Depending on where you are I guess. Here in the UK the A7S is about £2000, and the Shogun is about £1500, wheras the BMPC is £2100.
 
Yes, having both would ofc be ideal. Thing is though, the choise is between either the shogun or the BMPC. So im unsure of what to do, though the BMPC seem to have it all such as raw recording and global shutter.

Im skeptical with my A7s because the high ISO when using s-log2, wich makes daylight shoots almost impossible. I will try and see how it performs with a ND-filter.

So basically the benefits are as follow:

BMPC: Raw recording internally, Global shutter, high dynamic range even in daylight.

A7s: Low-light

I actually see no other benefit of the a7s over the BMPC except very good performance in low-light. And apparently it doesn't record over 30fps in 4k, so no slowmotion either(though the BMPC lack this aswell). So maybe the best option would be to sell the a7s and buy the blackmagic camera and also save some money.
 
Back
Top