Soft image on FS700

Backfocus92

Active member
Testing out the FS700 with a Canon adapter. Image seems soft for some reason. Is there a back focus adjustment that I am missing? Or any other ideas. I have an f3 so I am familiar with the menu and camera form.
 
What lenses and adapter are you using?

I use the Metabones adapter and Canon L's, the images are very sharp and contrast is nice as well. My favourites are the 24-70 f2.8 L and 70-200 f2.8 IS L, the 17-40 f4 L is also very sharp as is the 100-400 f4-5.6 IS L, and the 100mm f2.8 macro is also tack sharp. The 50mm f1.4 is a little soft wide open but only in the corners and that can be nice.

If you are using the Canons wide open they will be soft, even the L's. I find most lenses need to be stopped down 1-2 stops to get at their sharpest, specially in the corners.

I also have a bunch of old FD's and the adapter is on the way. I know these lenses are softer then modern lenses, but they can give a very nice look. Older lenses also don't always have coatings on the inside element, so you can get reflections between the lens and the sensor, this really lowers the contrast. At least this is what I found on my AF100, now in the hands of another shooter.
 
Testing out the FS700 with a Canon adapter. Image seems soft for some reason. Is there a back focus adjustment that I am missing? Or any other ideas. I have an f3 so I am familiar with the menu and camera form.

I'm having similar issues. FS700 seems soft with both Metabones Mark 2 adapter and Canon 24-70 f/2.8 L, as well as Sony E-mount 50mm f/1.8.
 
Are you out of focus - or cant you focus?

Certainly distance marks on the lens are unlikely to work

Film a meter ruler pointing away from the camera, try and focus on 50CM, see if any of it is sharp , maybe 30cm, maybe 70cm

If any of it is sharp then you cant focus, cant reach infinity, or some other problems

S
 
So the soft image out of the Camera with Canon Adapter sounds like the soft image out of the Canon 5D3.

Thats a real pity.
 
The OP mentions back focus, to move forward the image could be soft because it is out of focus, or lacks, Lines per inch, or both.

S
 
Have to say I have had no issues with my FS700 producing a soft image. I use metabones mk I and II with Canon lenses.
 
Yes! .. but it's availbale only with Sony LA-EA2 Adapter and Sony A-lenses .. page 91 of FS-700 manual: http://www.sergecinema.com/temp/SonyFS-700Manual.pdf

Thanks for the responses guys. I only had the camera a few days for testing and never could get the picture to look sharp as I would like. I was using the Metabones adapter and Canon L lenses. I use the lenses all the time so I know the issue was not with those. It had to either be the adapter or something with the camera. I adjusted the detail and sharpness in the menu but never got it as sharp as I think it should be. Honestly after using it I really don't think it is a camera for me. The only reason I would buy it would be for the frame rate. Other than that I prefer the F3 or whatever they might come out with next week at IBC.
 
Have you a chance to try an other lens, like a Samyang 35mm 1.4 with a Nikon to EX adapter?
I did some tests and it was sharp as a razor blade.
 
Back
Top