Should I buy Panasonic G7 or Panasonic GX8 ?

indietalker

Active member
1) Should I buy Panasonic G7 or Panasonic GX8 for short film/documentary (and travel use when not producing short films)?

I'd like to hear the views of first hand experience users especially.

2) How much does it cost in your country (in Europe) and special promotions in shops-not online only stores)

Thank you in advance
 
I have a G7 ad mostly really like it - as a cut-down traveling option (I have a GH4 I use mostly for work.) Since size, weight and price were factors - and I didn't especially need IBIS - it was an easy choice. (Also - one was up for sale very cheap!) Only caveat: I've found it very noisy for astro - which is a side hobby. Much much noisier than the GH4 (which isn't an especially clean camera.) Apart from that, the features and image quality are pretty good - esp for the price. And I already have a decent collection of lenses.
 
I have a GX8 and I also have a GH5. I love the GX8 for street photography and traveling. Very low form factor, and all my other lenses work just fine with it. It also does 4K in a pinch which is just fine looks great is the second camera shoot with the GH5 . I would highly recommend it for short documentary use in locations where you were worried about bringing cameras that might set you apart from local tourist crowd . Image quality is superb, but you have to work around the limitations for Mic in headphone out monitoring. it's not impossible it's just a little bit harder with the cameras form factor really helps . go look at some of the videos that were shot by still photographers in Cuba and in southeast Asia as part of the promotionals for the camera to understand what I'm talking about . bottom line is that if I had to travel through Central America South America or Southeast Asia I would take the GX8 and I would not take the GH5
 
I have a G7 ad mostly really like it - as a cut-down traveling option (I have a GH4 I use mostly for work.) Since size, weight and price were factors - and I didn't especially need IBIS - it was an easy choice. (Also - one was up for sale very cheap!) Only caveat: I've found it very noisy for astro - which is a side hobby. Much much noisier than the GH4 (which isn't an especially clean camera.) Apart from that, the features and image quality are pretty good - esp for the price. And I already have a decent collection of lenses.
Thank you for that.
Can you expand on the noisy bit please?
all the best



I have a GX8 ... I love the GX8 for street photography and traveling. ..."have to work around the limitations for Mic in headphone out monitoring. it's not impossible it's just a little bit harder with the cameras form factor really helps ... bottom line is that if I had to travel through Central America South America or Southeast Asia I would take the GX8 and I would not take the GH5

Thank you indeed.
I noticed the bulky look with the zoom, when switched on, bit off putting when traveling.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, and or tell me how you feel the bulky-ness please when walking around.
Would you also expand on the "have to work around the limitations for Mic in headphone out monitoring. it's not impossible it's just a little bit harder with the cameras form factor really helps " bit please?
All the best
 
Back
Top