Short Doc Thing

custerc

Well-known member
There's not much content here, and the camerawork is shaky (was shot guerilla style, no time to set up equipment and had to move fast because even a DVX draws a lot of attention in China and I am not trying to get arrested.) Basically I just wanted to go see the places where this stuff happened for myself, and took a camera along with.

Be warned: the video starts right off with an NSFW curse word.

http://vimeo.com/13616629

<object width="400" height="300"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=13616629&server=vimeo.com&show_title=1&show_byline=1&show_portrait=0&color=&fullscreen=1" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=13616629&server=vimeo.com&show_title=1&show_byline=1&show_portrait=0&color=&fullscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="400" height="300"></embed></object><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/13616629">The July 19th Incident</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user3713754">Charles Custer</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

A couple things:

(1) I'm shooting in 24p, and there's no interlacing while I'm editing in FCP, but I could not for the life of me get it to export without interlace crap, tried .MOV, .AVI, .MP4, etc., and selected deinterlace for the codecs that offer it as an option, but as you can see the result is still interlaced in places. WTF?

(2) The quality could also be better. I know the DVX is SD, but I have seen people get much better resolution stuff out of it than what I am getting.

Yes, I know I should buy the DVX book and Noah's, DVD, but I don't have the money, so if that's your only advice, save it.
 
Brave thing to film and upload. Considering what you are showing/telling in this clip, I wasn't bothered with shaky camerawork.

The problem with the lines could be caused by wrong or no pulldown. (I thought Asia was in the DVX102(A/B) PAL model line, in wich case you'd film 25p and pulldown wouldn't be in your routine.) But I have no experience with NTSC DVX (I'm into PAL models) or FCP (I'm using/learning Edius 5.5).
 
Brave thing to film and upload. Considering what you are showing/telling in this clip, I wasn't bothered with shaky camerawork.

The problem with the lines could be caused by wrong or no pulldown. (I thought Asia was in the DVX102(A/B) PAL model line, in wich case you'd film 25p and pulldown wouldn't be in your routine.) But I have no experience with NTSC DVX (I'm into PAL models) or FCP (I'm using/learning Edius 5.5).

It is, but I bought my DVX, computer, etc., in the States. If it's a pulldown issue, shouldn't I be seeing the interlace lines when I'm editing in FCP as well? I should also add, there was one codec that I exported it as where there were no interlace artifacts at all. However, the rest of it looked like crap; I figured better to have it look clear and have some interlace lines than have it look progressive buyt pixellated.

Anyway what's annoying is I had this problem before, figured out what the issue was, and solved it. And then, like a MORON, I didn't write it down, and forgot it.
 
Back
Top