Shooting Sony HVR-V1U with Canon-XL2?

yaltunin

Member
Hey everyone,
I'm filming a theater performance later this month and my budget is very small. I own a Canon XL2 but have discussed with the client about upping the quality of the production. My usual set-up is a two camera system where one shoots a wide-shot of the stage and the other I use for close-ups.

My question is could I use the Sony HVR-V1U for the wide in order to get an HD picture and then use the SD XL2 for close-ups, which I'll up convert in post. I know its not ideal but how bad would the quality be for the XL2 in comparison? When using a second XL2 for the wide shot I lost allot of detail that happened on the stage but never had a issue with the close-ups.

I will be shooting about 300 feet back. The Sony would be on full wide mostly, with just a small amount of zoom in order to fill the stage, and the Canon would be on about 80% zoom.

P.S. Sorry if this is the wrong area for this post.
 
Last edited:
Shoot with the Z1 in HD for the wide and use the XL2 for the closeups. I filmed a stage performance with this exact setup a few years ago. Footage from the XL2 upscales nicely to 720 but I think 1080 might be pushing it a little.

Maybe shoot the Z1 in 720 and upscale the XL2 to meet it?
 
Back
Top