Shogun 6.4 fs700

Reading all your postings since months, Dmitri, it always ends with nothing.

Convergent Design will be aware of price sensitivity. I fully understand, that developing of certain software capabilities needs to be charged. We should keep that development running. It's a professional device. You won't offer professional DoP services for free, either?

Not to defend Ditmitri, but a service and a product are two different things. If every product charged a little extra for a firmware upgraded feature, I think some customers would question if they would continue to hold onto the product. It is great to see CD add new features and if it had a feature that I needed for a shoot, I wouldn't mind paying for it as long as the competition couldn't offer it. CD doesn't have much competition at the moment so they can charge for features. Also, they understand that by staying ahead of the curve they can ask for extra services. It's business accumen and they deserve what they get.
 
Last edited:
Seems like the FS7 would be the better tool for your needs. 10bit 4K and 1080 internal without any additional chunks.
That would be ideal for me as well. Even if the FS700 did 1080 only but in 10bit XAVC I wouldn't even consider an Odyssey or Shogun. I just want 10bit.
Selling the FS700 and having a basis of 4000$ you would probably still need 5000$.
If you don't have it in cash think about a 2yrs financing at monthly rates of 220$.
If it does not pay off there is probably sth wrong with you business model. my 2cts
Now this is a bit of an arrogant point of view. Not all business work the same (might not even necessarily be a "business"!). Just because you can't or don't want to have a $200/month bill doesn't make you wrong.

Me, for example, both my life and incomes are highly irregular. That's why I only buy things when I can pay them in full. Which obviously means that the higher the initial payment, the harder they are to afford. But it's what saves me in down times.
 
Now this is a bit of an arrogant point of view..

It was just my point of view and a suggestion to Millerworld how he could manage the need for his business. I regarded an invest of 10k as business
Your aspect might be different but I never meant to condescend anybody. Apologies if you had that impression.
 
And I'm sorry for my reaction!

Being more of an artist than a business man, it's a struggle to make ends meet and when people are dropping numbers that to me are huge sums like it's nothing it just reminds me that things would be easier if I wasn't such a nonconformist ;)
It's frustrating when you have high demands on yourself and can't afford the tools you need/want.
 
Seems like the FS7 would be the better tool for your needs. 10bit 4K and 1080 internal without any additional chunks.

Selling the FS700 and having a basis of 4000$ you would probably still need 5000$.
If you don't have it in cash think about a 2yrs financing at monthly rates of 220$.
If it does not pay off there is probably sth wrong with you business model. my 2cts

Yeah, I'm not too sure about this to be honest with you.
I've specified that I'm interested in high frame rates to 1080 ProRes and supersampled 4K to ProRes HD, neither of which the FS7 offer.
This setup also has no way of shooting RAW should I ever have a client request that - I'd still need to buy add-on gear at extra expense.
Your plan offers me less and costs more.

And you're the one making slightly aggressive and arrogant remarks about business models! :)

I've located a used O7Q at a price I like and I'm very close to pulling the trigger.
I'll keep you posted! ;)
 
Yeah, I'm not too sure about this to be honest with you.
I've specified that I'm interested in high frame rates to 1080 ProRes and supersampled 4K to ProRes HD, neither of which the FS7 offer.
This setup also has no way of shooting RAW should I ever have a client request that - I'd still need to buy add-on gear at extra expense.
Your plan offers me less and costs more.

And you're the one making slightly aggressive and arrogant remarks about business models! :)

I've located a used O7Q at a price I like and I'm very close to pulling the trigger.
I'll keep you posted! ;)

as mentioned before: no intention of being aggressive and arrogant, apologies again if it came over like that.

The internal XAVC I codec is equivalent to ProRes but the FS7 gives you more options als sLog2 and REC709 with the 7Q (at least until there is no LUT burn in available) Up to now I always have to tweak the sLOG files in post. REC709 is not an option due to quality loss.

I was shooting with the combo since Jan 2014 and I found a lot of handicaps: balancing the combo is tricky especially for a run & gun set up. Ergonomics can be a nightmare. Powering is a challenge too, I have an arsenal of L-Series batteries and charging the arsenal after a long shooting day takes some times also. Adding a V-Mount adds cost and weight also. As you wrote you work for documentary I had the impression you have no need for RAW.

It looks as with the 7Q you get all in one camera: RAW, HFR, high quality monitor. But have in mind you get that only with a big set up.
For me the advantages of the FS7 are more important than 240fps vs 180fps or shooting RAW: light set up, better ergonomics, weather sealing, easier powering, 180fps without tons of RAW files, sLOG3. In rare requests if RAW I would rent the XDCA.
YMMV ;-)
 
Last edited:
The FS7 XQD cards are still fairly costly, one big plus to the Shogun or O7q is at $125-$150 each for a few 240gb SSDs and the cost of the recorder is a non issue when you consider 128gb XQD is well over $600
Sounds like most of you guys guys make movies and big budget stuff but today I used the Shogun with my FS700 for motorsports event work so it wasn't about image quality difference between internal codec and ProRes it was the speed... I kept the SD cards and traded my SSDs for a check... no transcoding or worse explaining AVCHD to anyone. also cool begin able to go through and kill any obvious turkeys (must have have been a couple camera problems, I am sure I didnt make any mistakes :) )




Yeah, I'm not too sure about this to be honest with you.
I've specified that I'm interested in high frame rates to 1080 ProRes and supersampled 4K to ProRes HD, neither of which the FS7 offer.
This setup also has no way of shooting RAW should I ever have a client request that - I'd still need to buy add-on gear at extra expense.
Your plan offers me less and costs more.

And you're the one making slightly aggressive and arrogant remarks about business models! :)

I've located a used O7Q at a price I like and I'm very close to pulling the trigger.
I'll keep you posted! ;)
 
Back
Top