shoe string budget?try soem fat laces!

Yes Horse, SOEM
Dollys do not build themselves, it takes alot of math and engineering to make it happen.

I have to say, buried in the mispelling and exclamation points, there is some good information in Mike's post regarding the types of wheels and bearings to get for a skate dolly.

Mike, I'm by no means a spelling and grammar purist - but if you could try to clean up your posts a bit and use ALOT less exclamation points, it would make them much easier to read.

Just my 2 cents.
 
thanks for the info, ive been wanting to make my own dolly on the cheap. the only place im confused at is are you using a skateboard, or a larger flat piece of plywood, or something else like that?
 
pic of the super dolly shoestrung together

pic of the super dolly shoestrung together

hey i said id post a pic and i did get the new spell check ,it has to be loaded into vista ?any ways id like to think people know what I'm saying but some need
text support gnomean?
2miked

a link to the clip soon!!
mike d
 
thanks for the info, Ive been wanting to make my own dolly on the cheap. the only place I'm confused at is are you using a skateboard, or a larger flat piece of plywood, or something else like that?

would love to upgrade to a larger style sit on push machine with lazer sharks
actually an over sized skateboard would be the ideal for a dolly maybe its the turning system the bushing and metal pivot is only so wide but a craft man with
nice tools could beef up easily the trick is the vibration absorbency thats helps allot
with out a track or make shift path your decision of surfaces is key
but this be the shoestring thread so a track would be double fat lace maybe close to an ultimate triple stripe all day i dream about shooting!

I'm fat lace'n it you get your dolly going better bust out with a clip !!
i better bust out with a clip!!
mike d
 
yeah umm welcome to the forums... please ignore him mike d. I like your diy spirit. I am worried about your camera falling over though - why not just get a $5 piece of plywood and bolt it on to the trucks? Put an eyescrew into the wood and then bungee the center portion of the tripod to it and you're super secure.
 
yeah umm welcome to the forums... please ignore him mike d. I like your diy spirit. I am worried about your camera falling over though - why not just get a $5 piece of plywood and bolt it on to the trucks? Put an eyescrew into the wood and then bungee the center portion of the tripod to it and you're super secure.
I have to agree, it looks shakey. Maybe drill and mount a length of pipe to the board, and mount the head to the pipe?
 
Put an eyescrew into the wood and then bungee the center portion of the tripod to it and you're super secure.


That's a good idea, though I don't know if I'd go so far as to say that's 'super secure'
That skateboard is pretty narrow, and with the camera & tripod on it it's center of gravity isn't all that low. If it gets bumped into to, even with a bungee on the center, the whole thing could topple over.

BUT - this is a shoestring solution, like he said - and that always comes with some risks.
You could try adding a bungee and some additional weight to the board under the tripod to lower the center of gravity on it.

But yeah, ideally, that platform should be a little wider.


By the way - if it wasn't clear, my 'bait' comment was directed at the 'illiterate' posting, not to Mike's original post.
 
Sorry my eyescrew was on my larger piece of fictitious wood :) But with the narrow trucks it will be wobbly still. Maybe 4 trucks and larger platform? Now that may be leaving your shoestrings a bit umm strung...
 
Wow.

I wish I could say I'm surprised that the first three and a half minutes of jmd's clip is overtly racist and even more overtly un-funny.

You and your buddies (the caucasian fellows posed in serapes, sombreros and curled black moustaches) probably think it's hysterical. You probably also adore Carlos Mencia and "Malibu's Most Wanted."

I think I have to reluctantly second whoever it was first suggested this thread be closed.
 
hater
and Carlos mancia is a huge success!!
don't dig so deep gees
maybe i should take back the standing ovation at the premiere too
just say uh we suck like suck suck suck ?
well sucking has its benefits homie
i think aname cartoons suck but I'm not hating on them?
you couldn't close my thread cuz i wont die!!
i multiply!!

gotta love the haters kinda wonder where they come from?
i thinks its jealousy but i don't like that word
there should be a i hate mike d video the movie!!

well Eric you should set examples of your work and not bother those who
"reluctant doubt you "do anything?

believe it there are plenty of mikedvideo fans !! to many to adjust the way of things
make a thread called i want to stop joemiked from being more liked than me
or why is the unfunny so dang funny?
!!!!!!
but thanks for the post and your time anyways
next hater please!!!!!
 
Last edited:
freagin kewl duude! sweet!!
good ideas jus flowin tight !
dang you gonna get it or build it?
im read more about!!
mike d

myspace/mikedvideo
 
fyi, you can rent a real doorway dolly that has big inflatable tires and is steerable for $20 (in l.a. at least). i would wager that it produces smoother shots and is more stable than the old tony hawk. plus you look like a pro...

i have a diy dolly made from plywood and skateboard wheels. runs on pvc pipe. it does work great but for a project that has any kind of budget, i rent the real thing...
 
Back
Top