Seagulls + Dogs = Ween

Richard,
I echo everyone else's comments, stunning work! Your juxtaposition of images is very well done, and serves as a very effective, and funny social commentary.
I was just wondering if you were using any filters and anything else extra besides the in-cam settings. It seems on some shots, you may have been using a gradiant blue filter, is this correct I trying to decide what filters I should get for the HVX, and was wondering if you could recommend any. Once again, awesome/inspirational work! You make me wish it was sunny here in Oregon so I could go to the coast and shoot, it currently snowing.
 
Hey DP Strangelove, thanks for the feedback - I am using filters on several shots, subtle color enchancment, etc. - I use magic bullet v.2 , you can really tweak the hell out of these filters to get your desired look - the grad filter is nice, so is color reversal if you turn the contrast down a little bit - I also use Genarts Saphire filters for some of the fish-eye, glowly type stuff -

off topic, the interval recording feature is awesome with this camera, I love doing stop motion now - it's so nice to be able to preview what you've done in camera

p2 is magical - I haven't put one hour on my heads yet and probably never will -

http://www.richard-darge.com/HD/snails.mov
 
I'm so peeved.:furious3: I can hear it, but can't see it. Something with my QT. It's updated but somethings missing. Bullocks! Ween rules, as does all things brown!
 
You've got me sold man! lol I loved the barking every time a new dog would come up. For some reason that had me cracking up!

Nice looking footage!
 
rgdfilms said:
Hey DP Strangelove, thanks for the feedback - I am using filters on several shots, subtle color enchancment, etc. - I use magic bullet v.2 , you can really tweak the hell out of these filters to get your desired look - the grad filter is nice, so is color reversal if you turn the contrast down a little bit - I also use Genarts Saphire filters for some of the fish-eye, glowly type stuff -http://www.richard-darge.com/HD/snails.mov
Did you edit and use the magic bullet on a Final Cut Pro System? Is Genarts Saphire available for FCP?
 
The Saphire filters are available for FCP and AE on a mac. They are really great....but be prepared to fork out around $1,400 for the entire set.
 
By the way, Richard, your stuff is the most entertaining footage that is getting posted up here. Keep it up. Great choice of music and imagery.
 
yea saphire is great - I didn't pay for them luckily, my boss did, hehe - he's letting me borrow them indefinetly - I did use a Steady for the opening shot - wow does that make my forearm hurt - this camera weighs in like a mofo - Thanks for the comments guys and gals - your comments just make me want to get out there and shoot more ! Sadly I should probably go into work today .. : (

BTW, anyone know why when I shoot in 30P, the files are actually 60P ? I mean, in FCP, they show up w/ a frame rate of 59.97 -? I only shoot 30P when I'm doing timelapse, maybe i have to run cinema tools on it?
 
Dude

Lovin every minute of it. Awesome. Nuff said.

This is like official SHUT THE **** UP footage about the NOISE ISSUE

This looked awesome (and your Audio post is so complimentary!)
 
Thanks Dude bro !!! But seriously though, the noise issue with this camera is mute - if you want to look for it, go ahead, - the average joe will never know what the hell you're talking about though if you pointed it out to them - hell, even the best IMAX films have grain somewhere - our eyeballs have freakin grain! I wake up every morning with floaters in my vision - If i paid attention to them all day, i would go crazy
 
Did you shoot 30PN, or 30P? 30pN should get you the 30 Native frames, 30P will get you the 30 flagged frames in a 60p cadence. When you say FCP says 59.94, what do you mean? Your sequence settings? Did you try the DVCPRO HD 720p30 easy setup? If you did in fact shoot 30p, not 30pN, you can conform to 30p using the free framerate converter, but then it'll all be in a different speed then what you intended.

Really nice stuff by the way. I enjoy it tremendously. I am jealous as this was going to be my first weekend to shoot, but my camera's already in the shop, two whole days after I bought it. Your videos though, will get me though. Please keep them coming if it's not going to get you fired.

One question. How'd you do the stop motion? Intervalometer? I didn't have time to check out how this worked.

Jeremy
 
The interval setting is friggin awesome. So many options. I did my first timelapse the other night.. and today I'm gonna shoot some cock fighting at every 8 frames... should be great gay bar footage... Lol JK

I'm gonna shoot my dogs fighting and my kids.. do a whole big battle royal....


Richard, can you imagine the impact this camera is going to have in all types of video industries. I'm not proud of it, but I have worked for some Golf courses following people around shooting their swings... slowing it down in post.. and giving them a copy. Now, we could do it all without doing it in post.. and hand them a mini DV tape without even having a computer... or if we do have one.. then make a DVD of the footage and viola... no rendering slow-mo....
 
I know! It's amazing isn't it ?

I'm on set right now - my one 4GB p2 card is working out dandy - we're offloading to a one terabyte LaCie drive via a powerbook - very fast going into the powerbook - lots of blue screen shooting today - the director was amazed w/ the quality of the HVX when placed side by side with the Varicam

I'm lovin it...

I hate McDonalds...
 
I'm stuck with one card too.. and man there are so many solutions out there that are so close to being cheap and perfect to offload the footage... I saw a battery powered 8 in one card reader today.. I mean, if it could do the PCMCIA cards.. it would be perfect. Seems like it's the self powered thing that's a problem....


I really hate bringing a laptop on location... In a studio it's fine but other places not so good... The P2 store is looking more appealing, but I'm going to buy a 4th generation iPod and doing that. Can't get one of the new oners or the video ones.. which is a bummer, but what the hell. Only 160 bucks for the 20 gig one...

Richard.. would be cool to report on your shoot... I'm also going to be videotaping some more bands next week. Shooting Buckethead on Monday and G-Love and the Special Sauce on Tuesday. Saw Ben Harper last night at HOB.. Was an amazing show! Couldn't shoot though... they want 1500 per camera.. Corporate bastards...
 
Absolutely stunning footage. Great work. Random side note: while I was watching the gulldog clip, my Boxer Dennis was sleeping on the couch nearby and got up and starting barking at the computer every time a new dog would come on screen accompanied by a bark sound.
 
Justyn said:
Couldn't shoot though... they want 1500 per camera.. Corporate bastards...
Justyn, You mean that they were willing to pay $1500 per camera? Or that is what how much they wanted for you to videotape Ben Harper? How did your first commercial shoot go w/ the HVX? Just had my first shoot today.
 
Back
Top