Screenwriting Software

Re: Screenwriting Software

Hi Barry,

I agree with you about story being a visual medium. If you can tell a story with little or no dialogue, then you are a master.

As for screenwriting software, I use final draft on my mac and sophocles on my pc. Both of them are good to me. I wish Final Draft had some features Sophocles has and vice-versa.

As for software to help you develop stories, there is John Truby's Blockbuster, which I didn't find useful. I actually took his masterclass. He comes down to London from time to time.

There is another software called Dramatica. It has some stuff I agree with, but there are some other stuff that I don't buy.

Since I started reading the Story book by Robert McKee, I don't think I really need any software at all.

There is another software that can actually help you develop your characters which is called Character Pro 4. If you don't want to spend the money, then buy a book that talks about the Enneagram, because that is what the software is based on.

The Enneagram helps you shape your character. Gives it personality.

If you combine, the Enneagram, the Story book and 'The Hero's Journey' by Christopher Vougler and 'The Hero with a thousand faces', by Joseph Campbell, you should have everything you need there.

Also, bear in mind that the Enneagram will help you give voice to your character. You will hear his voice, you will know how he can act and how he can react in certain situations. I have used it to study people's personalities, but now I use it to create my characters as well.

The enneagram is a psychology typing system. Something similar to Jung's theories.

Anyway, hope that was useful.

All the best

Fidel.
 
Re: Screenwriting Software

[quote author=araujofh link=board=writing;num=1075263475;start=30#42 date=06/29/04 at 02:10:23] If you can tell a story with little or no dialogue, then you are a master.[/quote]
I sure can't, but it can be done. One of my favorite examples is the 80's classic "The Road Warrior". One of the roles that propelled Mel Gibson to superstardom, and an icon of our generation.

Count his lines. I did once, but it's been a few years. I believe that in the entire 2-hour movie, Mel has no more than five lines.

"Two days ago, I saw a rig that could haul that tanker. You want to get out of here, you talk to me."

Then there's a section where he yells at the kid to "go on, get out of here."

I think there's maybe a couple more lines, but I don't recall. But there's an example where a powerful, heroic character was built on almost entirely *zero* dialogue. Actions, as they say, do speak louder than words. Especially in the cinema.
 
Re: Screenwriting Software

I don't know. I think both visuals and dialogue are important. It depends on the film. I just watched Krzysztof Kieslowski's Three Colors trilogy recently and those are great examples of brilliant visual filmmaking. I love that trilogy. On the other hand, Glengarry Glen Ross (as with all of Mamet's scripts) is all about the dialogue, and I love that film as well. Some filmmakers are stronger in one area than the other. I think the Coen Brothers are good at both.

My favorite comedy troupe/filmmakers of all time were Monty Python. They had some good visual comedy (Ministry of Silly Walks), but look at Life of Brian and Holy Grail. Those films have brilliant dialogue. The writing is why those films work, not the photography (though Terry Gilliam has forged his career as more of a visual storyteller). And as much as I love Kieslowski's work, I won't watch the Three Colors trilogy over and over again like I do with Life of Brian.

Of course, comedy is where my heart is. If I wanted to be an action director, I'd have a different slant. I've been rambling, but my basic point is that both visuals and story/dialogue are important. It just depends on the individual filmmaker's point of view as to which is more important for a particular film.
 
Re: Screenwriting Software

Good examples Barry and Josh.
I watched the Road Warrior again the day before yesterday. That film just rocks.

As for writing a film with no dialogue, that is hard.

All the best

Fidel.

PS: I love this forum!!! You guys are the best!!!!
 
Re: Screenwriting Software

[quote author=BLWolf link=board=writing;num=1075263475;start=30#35 date=04/27/04 at 22:26:28]Actually, Movie Magic CAN export in Word format and many others as well.[/quote]

How? I only see word perfect format. You can export as a rich text format and it can then be opened by word, but I don't see any export as a .doc file.
 
Re: Screenwriting Software

MM2000 will EXPORT in almost any format you need; Click SAVE AS and select the format that best serves.
 
Re: Screenwriting Software

[quote author=John Hudson link=board=writing;num=1075263475;start=45#47 date=07/05/04 at 00:27:36]MM2000 will EXPORT in almost any format you need; Click SAVE AS and select the format that best serves.[/quote]

But there is no .doc save as. Like I said you can save it as a rich text but I haven't figured out how to save as a .doc file. Unless I have an older version...
 
Re: Screenwriting Software

Oh I see. When you save as RICH TEXT you simply just open with WORD. It doesnt actually say .doc

There is also the option of saving as

Wordperfect 5.1/6x
Wordperfect with styles
Richtextformat WIN
Richtextformat MAC
Scriptware tagged
Finaldraft RTF
Finaldraft 4.0 converter
HTML Publishing
Formatted for Avid
PDF
Formatted ASCII


The great thing about it is that you can save as RICHTEXT and then open with WORD and SAVE AS WORD DOC or many different combinations.
 
Re: Screenwriting Software

I was using MM version 4.0 (an older version), which does have an "Export for MS Word" choice and would create a .doc. However, I recently installed version 4.7 and realized that this choice has been removed and that you can't create a .doc now. Odd. Anyway, as John Hudson says, I guess .rtf is the way you to go if need it to open in MS Word. :)
 
Back
Top