Screenwriting Software

David Jimerson

Administrator
Staff member
The mainstays: Final Draft and Movie Magic 2000.

Pros? Cons? Preferences?

Me, I used to punch 'em out in Works. Managed to get Paramount's attention with a TV spec script using it.

But I've grown accustomed to Final Draft.

Opinions?
 
Re: Screenwriting Software

I think you are refferring to Indexing? If so, yes.

It has all kinds of ridiculous formats:

Screenplay, sitcom, radio play, movel, stage play, etc.
 
Re: Screenwriting Software

No, not really. A beat outline is the traditional next step after the treatment. You take the treatment and actually break out acts, scenes, etc. -- you name the locations, time of day, etc., and a short passage describing what happens in each scene.

That way, you have a more detailed reference to write the actual screenplay.
 
Re: Screenwriting Software

Well, that kinda seems like what you, Dan, and ExFilms are planning to do -- flesh it out by scene. Chances are, a beat outline is what you'll go home with.
 
Re: Screenwriting Software

What's the genre', anyway? I know you won't want to give anyway any story details . . .
 
Re: Screenwriting Software

Genre.

Good question. I don't really know how to categorize it. One of things I want to talk with Dan and Casey (exfilms) about is the MOOD or FEEL.

This story could easily be in the vien of Fincher, but it could easily be POP CORNY as well.

I think it's leaning towards the FINCHER route, but I tend to write in a more mainstream style (DIALOG anyway).

Okay. Think: Se7en, Panic Room, KIND of like that feel.
 
Re: Screenwriting Software

With a cast of thousands. :D

Psychological thrillers can be tough -- good luck with that. If you want a fresh perspective, I'd be happy to take a look.
 
Re: Screenwriting Software

Once upon a time I used Styler97, which is a screenwriting template for Microsoft Word. Pretty nice, actually. I think it was shareware, I registered it for only like $20 or so.

But it's no Final Draft. Final Draft is the standard, it's what everyone uses. Since I got Final Draft I never use Styler97 anymore.
 
Re: Screenwriting Software

It's not a standard at all, but I absolutely *love* a little piece of software called Sophocles. I've been using it exclusively for two years, and I'll keep on using it until I have to collaborate with someone digitally using the beast that is Final Draft.

Meanwhile, Sophocles exports to pdf, so I can get stuff out to people.

I highly recommend it. It's got the best intuition I've seen in screenwriting software.

http://www.sophocles.net/
 
Re: Screenwriting Software

The bottom line is what will work for you in terms of pricing and the features you feel you need.

It could be a shareware free template that works ewith Word or MM2000 or FD6. I think the latter are, as most things in this industry, are way overpriced.
 
Re: Screenwriting Software

Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous. Let's also not forget how much the local authorities will gouge you for permits when (if? :-X) you tell them you're making a movie . . .
 
Back
Top