scene 5 - 24 p and editing

jjpopp

Active member
I am participating in a weekend film project where different teams write, direct and edit 3 different films. The problem is that whatever I shoot I won't edit. If I shoot 24p scene 5, will anyone who gets the footage be able to edit it in normal 29.97 mode without having to worry about he pulldown. I think so since it doesnt' stay 24 p in this mode. Any thoughts
 
Re: scene 5 - 24 p and editing

Actually its up to you whether to keep it at 24p with pull down or not, depending on your NLE, if it is set to remove pull down or not, such as in vegas video.

But regarding your question, there should be no problems and all the NLE's used should treat the footage as 29.97. But this again depends on your NLE. For example, in vegas video you have to uncheck, remove pulldown under preferences. This way all footage will be treated like regular 29.97i.

But again that depends on what NLE you're using
 
Re: scene 5 - 24 p and editing

I have shot a bunch of 24p footage then edited it in FCP and I didn't feel like removing the pulldown so yes it will still work.
 
Re: scene 5 - 24 p and editing

Right, remember, the camera is already adding pulldown BEFORE it goes to tape. Hence the lag/delay. So once it's on tape it IS 29.97 (notice in 24P you can't change from DF). Then, it is up to the editor to REMOVE the pulldown DVX added. Really depends on if you are going to film as final.

Good luck,

CaptM
 
Re: scene 5 - 24 p and editing

same thing with scene 6, 24pA guys?

if I am waiting on an editing program to do true 24p and the one i have right now doesnt handle it but i want to throw some footage together to show someone.  no problems right?

(I will use Premiere Pro 1.5 to edit the movie in 24 but can I use Premiere Pro 1 now just to make up a demo reel in 29.97?)
 
Re: scene 5 - 24 p and editing

Thanks for all th replies guys. I think I will go with F5 - 24 p and assume that whoever gets the footage will just import normally and thus edit 29.97 in their NLE.
 
Back
Top