.scene 5 - 24 p and editing

jjpopp

Active member
I am participating in a weekend film project where different teams write, direct and edit 3 different films. The problem is that whatever I shoot I won't edit. If I shoot 24p scene 5, will anyone who gets the footage be able to edit it in normal 29.97 mode without having to worry about he pulldown. I think so since it doesnt' stay 24 p in this mode. Any thoughts
 
Re: .scene 5 - 24 p and editing

Either F5 or F6 will be fine. Some say F5 is better, if you're going to stay in a 29.97 timeline, but either way will work.

In either mode -- 24p Normal or 24p Advanced, it's recoreded to tape in 60i. I've noticed a number of people posting who are under the impression that 24p Advanced somehow stays 24p on the tape, but it doesn't. In either case it's 60i on the tape.
 
Re: .scene 5 - 24 p and editing

It's 60i on the tape, but the frames are layed down differently in both modes. Most NLEs can interpret the fairly standard method used in 24pN, but not necessarily the method used when you shoot in 24pA. If the NLE can't interpret it correctly, you'll have problems.
 
Re: .scene 5 - 24 p and editing

Do you mean in removing the pulldown?  I've never heard of an NLE having a problem handling 60i footage shot in 24pA on a 60i timeline.

Have there been examples?  I'm curious.
 
Re: .scene 5 - 24 p and editing

Real Avids hate DVX footage, so if they are onlining on a big Avid (not the consumer versions) make sure you all sit down and make sure your on the same page. I was hired to re-cut a feature over the last 2 weeks and they where online in NY and kept having Filed issues because they didnt understand the pulldown. Might be better for everyone to run the footage through DVfilmaker to all have true 24p Quicktimes.
 
Back
Top