S-Log 2 LUT surprise

I've been searching for a good default LUT to apply to Slog2 footage from the FS700. Yesterday I stumbled upon this particular LUT from the Impulz VisionColor pack: Cineon to Kodak 2393 (FPE). Setting the opacity to 75% gives (in my opinion) outstanding color and excellent shadow detail. Here's a 2K frame grab. Hoping to post a full video soon.

Peets.jpg
 
aaron-

skins tones look good.

contrast also looks good.

over-exposed sunlight on his arm is not blown out.

while the blackest blacks in the frame are still black.

fs700 still has value.

slog2 is not "less" since there is also slog3.

i'm just saying.

i look forward to follow-up graded footage.

be well.

rob
smalltalk.productions
 
aaron-

skins tones look good.

contrast also looks good.

over-exposed sunlight on his arm is not blown out.

while the blackest blacks in the frame are still black.

fs700 still has value.

slog2 is not "less" since there is also slog3.

i'm just saying.

i look forward to follow-up graded footage.

be well.

rob
smalltalk.productions

Thanks Rob, I agree. I'm loving the FS700 4K ProRes.
 
Looks great Aaron! I'm an Impulz man myself ;)

Seeing as we're sharing, the Impulz LUT I fell in love with for my current project is the the - Fs700-SL2_Kodak Vis3 50D 5203 (DP)_FC. It has a really nice smooth highlight roll-off and a hint of coolness in the shadows.
This footage is 4k Raw to 2k Prores HQ in Slog2. Only a white balance fix and a minor primary applied before the LUT.

Robbie._50d.jpg

Aaron, did you convert from Slog2 to Cineon before applying your LUT? Or are you going all mad scientist with colour spaces? :tongue:
 
Looks great Aaron! I'm an Impulz man myself ;)

Seeing as we're sharing, the Impulz LUT I fell in love with for my current project is the the - Fs700-SL2_Kodak Vis3 50D 5203 (DP)_FC. It has a really nice smooth highlight roll-off and a hint of coolness in the shadows.
This footage is 4k Raw to 2k Prores HQ in Slog2. Only a white balance fix and a minor primary applied before the LUT.

View attachment 110828

Aaron, did you convert from Slog2 to Cineon before applying your LUT? Or are you going all mad scientist with colour spaces? :tongue:

Whoa that looks really good. I'll have to check that one out as well. I did not convert to Cineon. I just changed the opacity to 75%. That method rarely works but for some reason it does with S Log 2.

EDIT: I'm looking at my FS700 Impulz folder and don't see Fs700-SL2_Kodak Vis3 50D 5203 (DP)_FC. I have the Pro pack. Is it in a different version?
 
Last edited:
The set of Kodak Vision3 LUTs are in the Impulz Ultimate Pack and Hollywood Bundle. I grabbed the latter while it was on sale last year (Black Friday I think?)
It came with the Osiris LUTS too but I haven't really used them on anything yet as I love the Impulz emulations more so far.

Impulz_LUTS.jpg
 
The set of Kodak Vision3 LUTs are in the Impulz Ultimate Pack and Hollywood Bundle. I grabbed the latter while it was on sale last year (Black Friday I think?)
It came with the Osiris LUTS too but I haven't really used them on anything yet as I love the Impulz emulations more so far.

View attachment 110856
Ok cool, I just upgraded. Looking fwd to trying some of those out.
 
Looks great Aaron! I'm an Impulz man myself ;)

Seeing as we're sharing, the Impulz LUT I fell in love with for my current project is the the - Fs700-SL2_Kodak Vis3 50D 5203 (DP)_FC. It has a really nice smooth highlight roll-off and a hint of coolness in the shadows.
This footage is 4k Raw to 2k Prores HQ in Slog2. Only a white balance fix and a minor primary applied before the LUT.

View attachment 110828

Aaron, did you convert from Slog2 to Cineon before applying your LUT? Or are you going all mad scientist with colour spaces? :tongue:

Hi Kyron, I love that look as well. So just so I understand, did you first apply Fs700-SL2_Kodak Vis3 50D 5203 (DP)_CIN to convert to Cineon, then Fs700-SL2_Kodak Vis3 50D 5203 (DP)_FCm for the film contrast over that?
 
Hi Kaidumo, I didn't convert to cineon, just purely the one LUT. The Kodak Vis 50D I used is the "Film Contrast" one denoted by the "FC" in the suffix which negates the need for any extra conversion LUTs in between. It takes the slog2 to a really nice rich and contrasty image :)
 
Back
Top