Rubber coating wears off!

sirk

Active member
I own the GH1 for about 2 weeks now and I already found two spots where the soft rubber-coating is wearing off. This should initiate a faster wearing off on those spots.
I hate it! I thought it was dirt and wanted to remove it with my nail but I just increased the damage. WITH MY NAIL!

now lets hope that the surface unterneath is stable

Here are the shots!

scaled.IMGP8968.JPG


scaled.IMGP8984.JPG
 
Last edited:
That coating is going defective... Weird
You need to notify Panasonic either to report or request exchange if that is what you want!
 
I think I recall something about similar complaints with the G1 but don't quote me on that, do a google.
 
In my opinion, build quality and feel of my GH1 in inferior to my D90.
My concern is how would it hold in working environment. Days will tell....
 
I own the GH1 for about 2 weeks now and I already found two spots where the soft rubber-coating is wearing off. This should initiate a faster wearing off on those spots.
I hate it! I thought it was dirt and wanted to remove it with my nail but I just increased the damage. WITH MY NAIL!

now lets hope that the surface unterneath is stable


Can we have pictures please?


.
 
I edited the initial post and added two shots. I think I am gonna send this cam back because 14 days haven't passed entirely since I own it, they should replace it.
 
On my 6 week old GH1 the only place where this is happening is where the strap buckle rubs against the camera body. But I agree that the build quality while generally quite nice, is a bit fragile in some aspects.
 
I wonder if Cartier Bresson ever complained to Robert Capa about the wear marks on his cameras.
Shame on you Panasonic, not considering people have more nails than two eyes and only one brain.

:-(
 
should do wonders for the resale value. The D90 was very well built I liked the feel of it even more than the MKII.
 
Nikons do seem to have sturdy build quality. But to give some credit to Panasonic, their build quality is generally very good and the GH1 is very well made apart from the issue highlighted here.

Some of Canon & Sony's newer cameras are awful. Ultra plasticy and cheapo, like the inside of a rubbish modern car.

I handled the new Alpha line on the highstreet the other day (replaces the models below the pro line A700,A900), and okay they may be in the £300-£600 region but I have fork handles from the market that are built better.

If you compare the Panasonic TZ5 (not so much the lighter TZ7) to a Sony compact, it's well ahead for build quality.
 
Last edited:
So, you are missing your D90?
With its perfect rubbery feel, can one buy 2 MkIIs?
;-)

PS Don't get the jello confused for the rubber.
 
should do wonders for the resale value. The D90 was very well built I liked the feel of it even more than the MKII.

exactly. that issue woulnd't bother me that much I I didn't knew that it is gonna tear down the price when I want to sell the camera.
Personally I wouldn't have any problems with it but I sent the cam back to get it 50 bucks cheaper from another store!
 
When I pulled the MKII out of the box I thought it looked and felt like a toy camera (except for the weight it's bloody heavy) I certainly don't miss the D90's picture or jello, it felt right weight and rubbery feel wise but you couldn't hand hold the bloody thing anyway!
 
I guess that missing rubber coating will become a badge of honour, distinguishing between those who use their GH1 at the weekend to take pics at the family BBQ, and those who use it day in day out to make pro films.

I'm just popping out to the shed for some sandpaper...
 
I guess that missing rubber coating will become a badge of honour, distinguishing between those who use their GH1 at the weekend to take pics at the family BBQ, and those who use it day in day out to make pro films.

I'm just popping out to the shed for some sandpaper...


Awesome.

My Letus Ultimate, man. It was a WORKHORSE. I'm gonna miss it when it goes but it's got war scars all over. However, it's a BEAST and it's held up through every situation I've had it in.

I'm pretty sure my GH-1(s) will look like hell in just a few months, thing's so damned cheap though.
 
I plan to wear down my GH1 hard and proper and then when I die famous my nephews can sell it for a insane amount of money. Think Keith Richards guitar.
 
Back
Top