right side of FS700

alohype

Veteran
Hello,
I was trying to find some info but I couldn't really. What is that space for on the right hand side of FS700? Is it for flash memory? If so what are the advantages of using that? Anything else could be used there? It seems like sony had some plans to implement something there but then abandoned that idea...
FS7IMG_6593a.jpg
 
Yes it's for the HXR-FMU128 flash memory unit:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/672424-REG/Sony_HXR_FMU128_HXR_FMU128_Flash_Memory_Unit.html

I guess there's some convenience factor in having that much space without switching cards, but considering that for $700 you can get over a terabyte of SD cards, I doubt Sony has sold many of these things.

edit: I checked out the B&H customer reviews for the FMU128 and it does seem like there's a market for this thing, people either not trusting SD cards or needing the long record time. Still seems like a tough sell to me.
 
Last edited:
Thanks for info! So similar like in C100 we've got two slots for sd cards. I've got a feeling that if Sony would like to this could be utilised to write footage in better codec like 4:2:2 in over 50mbs. Or maybe initially that was the place where 4k recording solution would go, but later (when they though of F5/55) they realised it would be a bit like shot in a foot. Because if they would like to do a second slot for memory card they would do SxS slot that is much smaller.
I don't know, but it looks suspicious.
 
I believe you can record to FMU128 and SD card simultaneously giving you some security.
But way overpriced. If it was $700 but let you record ProRes or something that would make it worth it...
 
I got the FMU after an SD card failed on me losing the rushes for ever. It gives you over 600 minutes of shoot time as well as peace of mind and is very neat. Great for simultaneous shooting with the 7Q.
 
For me it looks like a perfect spot for Atomos Ninja Star :) You've got simultaneous recording in that way too.
 
The FMU128 is an absolute MUST for peace of mind.

Unless your meticulous in removing your SD cards and putting them back in. Expect a failure at some point from wear and tear ...

That FMU drive is light and sleek. Weighs next to nothing. And offers 128GB of storage and simultaneous recording.

It's worth the money.
 
I got the FMU after an SD card failed on me losing the rushes for ever. It gives you over 600 minutes of shoot time as well as peace of mind and is very neat. Great for simultaneous shooting with the 7Q.

I picked up a used one myself at a discount. I like the peace of mind.
 
Back
Top