Resume help!

Microload

New member
[FONT=verdana,arial][SIZE=-1] Hi guys, I need some help building a resume. A friend of a friend gave me the number to the production office for a sitcom on television. I called and they requested i fax a resume. I've never made a resume for anything before.

The position I'm interested in is a PA or similar. I haven't had any experience on a film set before but I have had jobs since it was legal for me to work. I looked on google and saw some example resumes.

How would I go about asking for which position I would like?

Do they offer one based on the information?

What are my chances of getting a job if I do not have any film experience?

Should I mention that I'd be willing to work for little to no pay?

Thanks guys[/SIZE][/FONT]
 
You probably won't have any choices about what job you would like. You should make sure that they know you are hard working and dependable. Be persistant too. There's nothing wrong with following up and checking in periodically if they don't hire you right away. If you have scheduling restrictions or conflicts they will most likely move on to the next candidate. If you're looking to get your foot in the door, the best thing you can do is be willing to work hard and keep smiling. I wouldn't offer to work for little or no pay. PA jobs aren't high paying to start and they'll ask you to work for little or no pay if they "don't have any $". You may want to ask about interning. A good intern often gets the chance to move up to PA once they have a little experience and know the people. Good luck.
 
Thanks for the reply.

Has anyone ever had to make a resume for a similar situation? If so could you post it so I can get an idea of what to do :)

Thanks.
 
Write a mission statement at the top about what you hope to learn or to gain, and what you can contribute. Something like:

I want to start my career by taking an entry level position, learning everything I can, and becoming a great PA, etc etc

Play up your skills, maybe not what software or gear you are familiar with. Sure that goes in there, but you want stuff like this first:

great people skills, self motivated worker
team player, always open to new ideas
takes as well as gives constructive criticism
always ready and willing to learn
natural leader, (leadership experience)

Anything like this that you can add to your list is good, as long as you feel it does actually describe you. "Am I like that? Can I learn to be like that?"

Be enthusiastic and press them, but not too hard. Call back after a week if you've not heard anything, and then again maybe a week after. Don't call them every day, you don't want to annoy the hell out of them. If you have any kind of work at all you can show, put together a reel that shows you are competent in what you're doing.

If that helps you get the job I want 5 bucks :D
 
Back
Top