Requests for v4.2

Fix the .VOB conversion

Fix the .VOB conversion

Hi,

I was tentative last time I noted this, but I am sure there is a problem now.

Edius has problems ripping from DVDs. Whether the diskcapture utility is used, or the .VOB is dragged into the bin and converted from there, Edius only succesfully converts the first few minutes (failing at varying stages depending on the attempt). The file ends up as long as it should be, but the frames contain no data (or at least no data that any player is happy to display) beyond the failure point.

I wish I could idly comment on this, but this is really hurting me on this current job. I have had to purchase other software to do the rip, and I've lost a lot of valuable time. So yeah, I'm not happy.
This is what I was thinking before deciding to buy Edius: that if the choice is between solid functionality and speed, perhaps the wiser choice is functionality - a score on which other packages are ahead.

Ripping .VOB files is obviously something dozens of applications out there can do with ease: why does Edius have trouble? Guys: buy the code from a smaller app out there, or fix your own. Just do something, please.

M.
 
Setting in and out in player, then not getting that portion in bin or timeline

Setting in and out in player, then not getting that portion in bin or timeline

Ok, this doesn't seem to be my night.

I drop one of my clips (ripped with another piece of software since Edius can't hack it) into the bin, double click it into the player and select an in and out point.
When I click update bin, it sends a clip back to the bin but it is a completely different portion of the original clip from the portion I selected with my in and out points!!!

WTF?

Same when I drag and drop the trimmed clip from the player to the timeline.

Am I going to be able to get this job done?

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

M.
 
Malcolm Wright said:
Hi there,

You're right, I didn't comlpetely understand that post of your's... Probably because I am unfamiliar with the functionality you are looking for.
Is it some sort of recorded signal that the software can read to automatically sync separately recorded sound with the image?

Thanks!
M.

I did fear that my way saying it was a little bit dizzy...!

Ok, there are different tools to do this, one is the so called "lockit" from AMBIENT: you need a device to get the timecode you want (we used a longitudeTC, taking it from a SOUNDDEVICE) and then you put the lockit via XLR on your HVX.

This way (normally you use the 2nd channel) a sound is created on this track, that contains the Longitude-TC at the same time.

So if you go to your Editing-software(well i just know that avid does, or rather did it, FCP is working on it) and it reads out the TC from the SOUNDDEVICE (a wav. file in BWF standart, keeping the extra TC-information) and from the 2nd Audio-track from your HVX.

In a world where this works, you just put your video and wav.-clips on timeline and "autosync them, so it will be automaticly syncronized!

No need to do this manually or go directly into the cam with sound, which is specially for documentary films a great thing!

Hope this was a little more clear!
I am open for questions..!

p.s. the funny thing is, that Edius can already read out the Longitude-TC from the .wav-file, also displays it, but not the one from the HVX...!
Crazy...so practicly half of the needs are fullfilled already...like i sayd, this cant be too difficult, but is very important!


I also think that the recover-function for broken Links (when you move some footage that you already used in an Edius-project to a different HDD-direction) should be worked over: like i said earlyer: if the footage is moved, i do have to select EACH clip (and the whole direction of course), even if there are 20 needed video files in one folder...Premiere does this different, and i think this is very important for the case something like this happens...!

When i edit 3 Month, and 5 days before i finish the movie, and the HDD dies, i got a Backup on HDD..but this only helps if i can put the drive the exact same direction (and folder structure of course..), outher wise i have to reconnect 100s of clips manually.....not that nice!

Malcom, would be great if we find a good way to contact canopus GV and make sure that they send the ideas to the right persons...also Bhiga..im calling youi man...mr. Bhiga!.could be a great help and powerfull voice for the HVX users!

End of toooo long post! :huh:
 
Hey HVXguy,

Thanks for that: I get it now :) It sounds like a great thing to have! I'm making a doco, but am taking all sound in camera this time. The next time around I am thinking of taking the sound separately, and this would be a great feature to have by then!

Understood about the relinking to lost media!

And I agree, if Bhiga is cool with it, perhaps he could present our final version of requests to the right people?

Thanks!

M.
 
Malcolm Wright said:
Hi,

I was tentative last time I noted this, but I am sure there is a problem now.

Edius has problems ripping from DVDs. Whether the diskcapture utility is used, or the .VOB is dragged into the bin and converted from there, Edius only succesfully converts the first few minutes (failing at varying stages depending on the attempt). The file ends up as long as it should be, but the frames contain no data (or at least no data that any player is happy to display) beyond the failure point.

I wish I could idly comment on this, but this is really hurting me on this current job. I have had to purchase other software to do the rip, and I've lost a lot of valuable time. So yeah, I'm not happy.
This is what I was thinking before deciding to buy Edius: that if the choice is between solid functionality and speed, perhaps the wiser choice is functionality - a score on which other packages are ahead.

Ripping .VOB files is obviously something dozens of applications out there can do with ease: why does Edius have trouble? Guys: buy the code from a smaller app out there, or fix your own. Just do something, please.

M.

Hi all,

Some follow up on this one.
Jack Jennings who works as tech support for Canopus gave me the solution: he's been very helpful, and also pretty patient with my frustration.

Here's the fix in his own words:

Jack said:
Most of the time, you can mess around with the Settings > Plugin Settings > MPEG importer options to get it to view it properly from the timeline. I've attached a screenshot of some settings I've had luck with in the past. If you set this, see how it plays back.

Prior to setting these settings, I would get heaps of green frames when playing the timeline. After the changes, it was flawlessly played/scrubbed)

I can't attach the image without hosting it, but basically tick both tick boxes, and you're good to go.

:thumbup:

M.
 
Procoder Express slow to launch - cancel out of render and Edius can lock up

Procoder Express slow to launch - cancel out of render and Edius can lock up

Hi,

Its a pity the wizard takes so ling to launch.
If there is a way for you allow quick launching to the gui, it would really help. Currently, it takes about 10 seconds + to get to the wizard. If you have many files to print out to, this can get tedious and waste a lot of time...

Also in the interest of saving time, there should be some way of saving presets from the wizard to the initial print to file menu.


Some renders go fine to 99 percent and then hang (this one was a quicktime photo jpeg render). When you click the cancel button, it returns you to Edius, but the cursor is still the locked one, and you can't do anything in the bin. I basically had to kill Edius.

M.
 
Latest idea for the clip color: it is not easy to set this quickly. The fastest method seems to be the right click in the bin, select clip color in the menu that pops up, and then select your color.

I suggest that left clicking on the clip color swatch in the bin in details mode should immediately bring up a dropdown menu allowing direct access to the colors.

M.
 
Ahh, I understand what you're saying now. You want the folder-add dialog to remember the last location. That makes sense.
 
As for features and bugs, there are lists on BugListCentral and WishListCentral for EDIUS. I can't say who reads them, but I do know they get read from time to time. Also, it's good to have everything in a single place.
 
bhiga said:
As for features and bugs, there are lists on BugListCentral and WishListCentral for EDIUS. I can't say who reads them, but I do know they get read from time to time. Also, it's good to have everything in a single place.

Ok, when I get a free moment over the next ten days or so, I'll try to compile all of this into something to put there.

M.
 
Hey Brandon,

nice to see you back here!
I think the wish-list is definitly a place where we should put this (thanks for the work Malcom, i really appreciate..!), but it would be great if someone like you Brandon could maybe convince canopus japan that some things are really worth to implement in upcoming versions...! (like the lockit-thing i described earlyer...i heard now from my dealer here in germany that GV is really interested to implement more audio features for v4.5, we both hope that also OMF-export will be a part too...!)

So if you could help the HVX users here to get a better product, that would be great!(ill bake you a cake if you come to europe for your help...a biiiig one!)

Thanks in advance!

p.s. Brandon, give this one to your boss: i had a hard time to decide for the right editing system, but thanks to your help and support, i bought an SP for HDV with Edius Broadcast now...hope to be a happy user...thanks anyway Brandon!
 
If this has already been mentioned, my apologies . . .

I sure would like to have the capability of using Magic Bullet with Broadcast!
 
I discussed with the EDIUS development folks at IBC and the plan (hope?) is to have some kind of AAF support in the future.

I keep pushing for interoperability. You can't do everything with a single tool, so it's always good when you can move between tools with little effort or worry.

BTW: You're welcome. I have the best boss in the world, but I'll tell her anyway, heh. :)

Brandon
 
bhiga said:
BTW: You're welcome. I have the best boss in the world, but I'll tell her anyway, heh. :)

Brandon

Tell her, Tell her!
If she is that nice, she will make all our wishes reality! :Drogar-Evil(DBG):

I already love her! :dankk2:
 
Hehehe Unfortunately we don't get to make product decisions. We're in Marketing Communications. :huh:
 
bhiga said:
Hehehe Unfortunately we don't get to make product decisions. We're in Marketing Communications. :huh:

I knew that..but maybe you have some nice collegues to tell about our wishes! :Drogar-Dum(DBG):

Thanks!
 
Back
Top