Redrock M2

Kemper

Active member
Is this a viable and usable tool as an adaptor for Cinema lenses? Has anyone used it on this camera?
 
i have it and used it on the dvx - very nice tool - takes some finessing to get the perfect image but it is nice - i used it with 35mm lenses though - not cinema
 
You might also want to look into the G35. From the samples I've seen, it may have better edge to edge sharpness than the Redrock, and has a low lux model that apparently loses less than 1/2 a stop of light. info at www.cinemek.com. (I am not a cinemek rep, I just was impressed by the high quality of their demo footage)
 
Kemper said:
Is this a viable and usable tool as an adaptor for Cinema lenses? Has anyone used it on this camera?

Yes the M2 can be used with cinema lenses. They make mounts for cinema lenses included in the price for the indie kit. I haven't used cinema lenses myself, as I have the Nikon mount, but it is no problem at all.
 
Cinema lenses will look a little clearer but just take a look at the price lists for them and watch your jaw drop and roll out the door. P-R-E-T-T-Y steep.

But an appropriate $50 photo lense will do wonders on its own! =)

Most people have resorted to using a Nikon/Canon/Minolta/ect. lens mount for their adapters and that's the experience a lot of people have been having. Results are still very nice and many swear by the M2 for the whole DOF and film-like twist it gives to their footage.

If you want to get a cinema lense mount later, you can simply by one of the kits to start with and experiment, then buy a seperate adapter with a PL-mount or the OCT mount or whatever it's called later down the road.
 
M2 adapter

M2 adapter

I have been using the Redrock Micro M2 with Nikon lenses.... So far teh results have been amazing.. Xomplete edge to edge sharpness and it handles shadows well. you do not get that grainy video look.. you end up with smooth film like blacks.... uSE LOW F STOP LENSES.. I use a 35mm 1.4, 50mm 1.2, 85mm 1.4 and a 135mm 2.0.. I use various other lenses as well. But these give incredible resullts.. I have obtained awseom footage wth an 85mm 1.8 as well....

You can not go wrong with the M2.. They just started using a new cinescreen and the results are great...
 
Busgirl on Apple's Quicktime Hot Pics list

Busgirl on Apple's Quicktime Hot Pics list

Busgirl the indie feature that shot with a little help of M2 RedRock Micro is on Apple's Quicktime Hot Pics list. Launch Quicktime app and have look at the trailer.

Also at

http://72.41.206.35/Busgirl/Busgirl.html

A low-cost digital film revolution spreading all over the globe in 2006. Busgirl is just one of nice examples.

SJUSER
----------------

http://www.sanjinjukic.com/index_m2_tests.html

http://www.sanjinjukic.com/index_panasonicHD_P2.html
 
Dan Diaconu's MPIC : An image converter by request

Dan Diaconu's MPIC : An image converter by request

Some people claim that this one is the best and the price is between cheap adapters and the expensive P+S Technik. No lost in light, no grain and no vignetting guaranteed. Have a look on this report and than visit the original site link

Dan Diaconu's MPIC : An image converter by request

http://www.holyzoo.com/content/mpic/

and

http://www.dandiaconu.com/newweb/index.htm


SJUSER
----------------

http://www.sanjinjukic.com/index_m2_tests.html

http://www.sanjinjukic.com/index_panasonicHD_P2.html
 
Last edited:
Trailer for that looks great. What camera did they use? This is some of the best film-like footage I've seen. Do you know what type of post they used and all that. I mean, there isn't that drab and soft and haziness. This is some great looking stuff here. I can only imagine how good this might look on the HVX.


sanjin said:
Busgirl the indie feature that shot with a little help of M2 RedRock Micro

is on Apple's Quicktime Hot Pics list. Launch Quicktime app and have look at the trailer.

Also at

http://72.41.206.35/Busgirl/Busgirl.html

A low-cost digital film revolution spreading all over the globe in 2006. Busgirl is just one of nice examples.

SJUSER
----------------

http://www.sanjinjukic.com/index_m2_tests.html

http://www.sanjinjukic.com/index_panasonicHD_P2.html
 
Justyn -

I was impressed with the footage, so I called Tom Camarda, who was the DP on "Busgirl." He told me that they used a Z1 with the Redrock adapter, used Nikon prime lenses and shot in 50i. Very nice guy, and a very impressive reel. It just goes to show that, no matter what camera you use, a good and innovative DP is invaluable to a serious production!
 
filmkid said:
Justyn -

I was impressed with the footage, so I called Tom Camarda, who was the DP on "Busgirl." He told me that they used a Z1 with the Redrock adapter, used Nikon prime lenses and shot in 50i. Very nice guy, and a very impressive reel. It just goes to show that, no matter what camera you use, a good and innovative DP is invaluable to a serious production!

Also I totally agree and add no matter which low-cost cam you use. The matter is HOW YOU USE IT. That would be a right formula to follow but not all those endless counting of horizontal/vertical pixels, chroma/luma, pixel shift etc... mostly tech spec mess.

SJUSER
----------------

http://www.sanjinjukic.com/index_m2_tests.html

http://www.sanjinjukic.com/index_panasonicHD_P2.html
 
Last edited:
"Carl Zeiss AG of Oberkochen, Germany is about to introduce ZF, a new range of interchangeable lenses for Nikon SLR cameras, both analog and digital..."

09.jpg


Read more at

http://www.zeiss.com/c12567a8003b58b9/Contents-Frame/d10916e347d1265ac12570f8003e3839

Sanjin Jukic
------------------------

Sony FX1E+M2 RedrockMicro 35mm lens adapter
http://www.sanjinjukic.com/index_m2_tests.html
 
Last edited:
I was told the panny anamorphic adaptor isn't compatible with the RedRock Adaptor. Does anyone know if there is some other adaptor to use still lenses and achieve a true widescreen anamorphic picture?
 
Anyone know where this can be purchased in the UK? We're looking to get a full shooting kit for a feature and the M2 looks great, our DP is really pushing for us to get it with at least 3 Nikon lenses.

And has anyone used it with the HVX yet (and any footage, screen grabs)?
 
I have big concerns about any 35 adaptor on the HVX..

but I've yet to see any real tests....I know that cinemek are redesigning their G35 to address issues with HDV and HVX.
 
truckdriver said:
I was told the panny anamorphic adaptor isn't compatible with the RedRock Adaptor. Does anyone know if there is some other adaptor to use still lenses and achieve a true widescreen anamorphic picture?

Your solution would be use the adaptor and use anamorphic cinema lenses on it. You can do it relatively cheap by buying an OCT-19 mount (russian movie lenses) and getting russian anamorphic lenses on e-bay. Search for LOMO anamorphic lenses.

Never used them, never seen any result, but still it is probably your only option for shooting anamorphic with the M2...
 
adam powell said:
I have big concerns about any 35 adaptor on the HVX..

What are your concerns? I'm shooting a short next month with my HVX and the P+S Techniks adapter...haven't heard anything about any problems with it...
 
booth said:
Anyone know where this can be purchased in the UK? We're looking to get a full shooting kit for a feature and the M2 looks great, our DP is really pushing for us to get it with at least 3 Nikon lenses.

And has anyone used it with the HVX yet (and any footage, screen grabs)?

You cannot purchase the M2 from anywhere other than Redrock. I live in the UK and they are no problem. Place your order and wait 12 weeks. (the length of the waiting list so don't expect to get it quicker than that)
I use three Nikons with it.
17-35mm 2.8
35-70mm 2.8
80-200mm 2.8

Those three cover all bases, and you can get some cheap faster primes off ebay.co.uk if you don't want to use zooms, though I have found they are not really needed so far.


adam powell said:
I have big concerns about any 35 adaptor on the HVX..

but I've yet to see any real tests....I know that cinemek are redesigning their G35 to address issues with HDV and HVX.

The M2 and HVX have been tested and results have been outstanding.
 
Back
Top