RED taking reservations now!

nycfilmmaker said:
sounds liek a lot of PR hype! "sorry call back cause we're flooded with calls" sounds like PR BS. I'm from NYC and I've seen a lot. NYC is run on hype. THIS red camera again is a concept . they haven't even RELEASED REAL PHOTOS for god's sake and they are asking me to dish out 1000 greenbacks. At least the camera that came out the other day by silicon imaging had actual pictures, even if they weren't the greatest.

The design of the RED maybe will change since it's just a rendered model done probably in MAYA.

I say to RED come out with some FOOTAGE, pictures of the camera, workflow and stills before you start asking us to dish out one grand.

thank you very much

EDIT: grammer



I know I'm not from New York, so hey, wtf do I know, but remember, it's a FULLY REFUNDABLE deposit. The purpose of it is to secure your place in line. You see footage, don't like it, ask for your deposit back. Granted, you'll have lost your 4% interest. The time-line has been discussed by Mr. Jannard, with actual footage scheduled to be released this fall. Production by end of year/early next year. The camera is a lot more than a "concept." The founder of the company is a billionaire.


When was it that HVX footage was first released?
 
Rextilleon said:
Did you do that via phone---did they call you or did you ge through.
Yes, I did it via telephone. I had called once in the morning and got the machine, but I didn't leave my information because I thought I'd be heading down to NAB tomorrow and I figured I'd rather handle it in person. Unfortunately, the director for the film I start shooting on Friday called me and we have to iron out a few things so it looks like I'm not gonna be able to make it to Vegas after all. Now that I've seen the stuff TC has posted, I think I've gotten everything I needed without having to make a 12 hour round-trip drive. The only thing I really cared about was RED anyway. So, I called back again this afternoon and got through. The guy there had just finished calling back everyone in the queue, so he was able to take my information right over the phone. I put down my $1,000, he gave me my place in line, and here we are.

I'm so happy a company is finally doing what it takes to get things done right, and I am proud to be an early supporter of their vision.
 
nycfilmmaker said:
sounds liek a lot of PR hype! "sorry call back cause we're flooded with calls" sounds like PR BS. I'm from NYC and I've seen a lot. NYC is run on hype. THIS red camera again is a concept . they haven't even RELEASED REAL PHOTOS for god's sake and they are asking me to dish out 1000 greenbacks. At least the camera that came out the other day by silicon imaging had actual pictures, even if they weren't the greatest.

The design of the RED maybe will change since it's just a rendered model done probably in MAYA.

I say to RED come out with some FOOTAGE, pictures of the camera, workflow and stills before you start asking us to dish out one grand.

thank you very much

EDIT: grammer

If you look through the posts you'll see they have a prototype of at least the interior camera shell - made of magnesium alloy, not simply rendered in Maya - on display in Vegas. And why not be excited? This camera, assuming they pull it off, could be as revolutionary for filmmaking as the Model T was to transportation. This puts professional-grade equipment within reach of many of us. And will force Sony, Panasonic, JVC, etc. to re-evaluate their business models completely. Competition, and sometimes even the possibility of it, often drives the progress of any industry. I personally think that Jim Jannard, even without a shipping camera, deserves a huge thank you from all of us in the indy world.
 
DVXSanDiego said:
If you look through the posts you'll see they have a prototype of at least the interior camera shell - made of magnesium alloy, not simply rendered in Maya - on display in Vegas. And why not be excited? This camera, assuming they pull it off, could be as revolutionary for filmmaking as the Model T was to transportation. This puts professional-grade equipment within reach of many of us. And will force Sony, Panasonic, JVC, etc. to re-evaluate their business models completely. Competition, and sometimes even the possibility of it, often drives the progress of any industry. I personally think that Jim Jannard, even without a shipping camera, deserves a huge thank you from all of us in the indy world.


i'm with the indie revolution. show me the pictures
 
Intresting, Panasonic just gave the details of their AJHDX900----its MSRP is 26,500 and it will be available in July---It has three one million pixel 2/3" CCDs and has versatile multifomat recording support using variations of 1080i, 24p and 720p.
 
Like Sony, Panasonic has a huge base to satisfy - all with disparate requirements from the cameras they use.

On the other hand, you have RED. It would seem that market share of one segment over another is entirely abandoned in favor of realizing a wildly variable toolset in one package at a breakneck pricepoint.

I equate it to making a movie you want to see instead of making one toward an audience - these often end up capturing the imagination of a wide and varied following almost in spite of themselves and the rather unconventional business model they utilize. Surely, RED is banking on this to some extent.

So, as Panasonic and Sony throw twenty models at the world and hope a few stick, RED is pinning their hopes on one unique Swiss-Army knife of a camera. If the image returns what the specs promise, Jim will surely have something here.

e
 
overlandfilms said:
So, as Panasonic and Sony throw twenty models at the world and hope a few stick, RED is pinning their hopes on one unique Swiss-Army knife of a camera. If the image returns what the specs promise, Jim will surely have something here.
I don't think there's anything wrong with offering multiple models and providing choices, I just think that the technology being offered by the larger/more established companies is vastly overpriced. Like Jim mentioned, there was no point in making a lower "crippled" version of the camera with disabled softwared features because it would cost them the exact same amount to make it and it would only be ripping off the end user. Now that everything is going tapeless, the issue of more expensive physical components like costly tape mechanisms in the higher models aren't an issue (excuse) anymore. Yet here we have Sony offering two new XDCAM HD models that are $9,000 apart in price and the only difference between them is variable framerates and HD-SDI output jacks in the "higher" model. If you think that's a bargain, I've got a lovely pair of HD-SDI jacks to sell you and I'm only asking 6 grand...

Now that the Red team is offering up a 4K camera for $17,500 (and assumingly turning a profit - Jim's not in business to lose money), we know the most that it costs in 2006 to make a camera with that technology. Considering everything it does, I can't see how anyone can justify spending a penny more for another camera that does much, much less. The era of the $70,000 Varicam is over.
 
Well, I shook the hand of 'THE MAN', Mr Jarnard, himself, listened
to the presentation and put down my deposit. I'm #74 in line!

As to the doubts expressed in some of the previous posts in this
thread, the RED prototype is considerably more substantial than
the balsa wood HVX prototypes Panasonic dangled before the
world's eyes for over a year.

The development team is stellar--some of the names are already
known by a large number of members here-- and I heard a few
new ones today, including the "father of the Varicam", that only
reinforced my belief that this is the product that will change the
way we tell our stories.

I'm going to revisit the RED tent tomorrow to get a second helping
of the delicious and most tantalizing menu of configuration and
options-- including a fully interchangeable/upgradable sensor
when it is available. Try that with ANY other camera, at any price
point.
 
nycfilmmaker said:
the thing that i don't understand is that this camera looks like it will be released mid next year so why shoiuld i pay 1 grand, one never knows what could happen in between time. I just don't see this happening this year. it's April. they don't even have footage or actual FOTOS...etc.

I was at NAB last year, and went to the Panasonic booth to find... a mock-up of what the HVX would look like. And what happened in December of the same year? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe the HVX was released. Who knew?
 
eyemagic said:
including a fully interchangeable/upgradable sensor
when it is available. Try that with ANY other camera, at any price
point.

Well, that's what Kinetta was touting, and look what happened there. Years later, they're still "waiting for sensors."
 
Back
Top