Recording shuts off unexpectantly on 720 mpeg

J Davis

Veteran
I'm doing some tests with long takes and audio sync with a zoom H4. Naturally I'm testing each record mode and I noticed something weird about the camera itself. Nothing to do with the H4 or sync.

So far I tested a one hour long take in 1080p AVCHD no problem, but when I started testing with mpeg 720p the camera record switches off by itself.

Three times in a row the camera has stopped recording at the following time code
14:57
14:51
17:00

Anyone else experience something like this?
 
How big was the file in the end for MJPEG?

How large is your SDHC card and what speed?

How did you get a camera so fast?
 
Hmmm... Can anyone explain why 2GB is the mpeg file limit, in this age of 32GB SDHC cards and 64-bit operating systems? Such a shame. Especially when you can fill the same card with a one non-stop 4-hour, 32GB highest-quality AVCHD shoot, if you're plugged into AC power.

Our local Panasonic rep told me Panny will be shipping 1TB SDHC cards next year. One of those would hold 500 2GB mpeg files... or over 120 hours of GH1's highest-quality AVCHD.

(still awaiting my GH1, pre-ordered 8 weeks ago from the largest New England dealer... good news is I'm first on their list)

- Paul
 
Hmmm... Can anyone explain why 2GB is the mpeg file limit, in this age of 32GB SDHC cards and 64-bit operating systems?

I believe it has to do with the particular AVI container format that is being used, which has a limit of 2 GB.

cheers, ScrollLock

--
Can't wait until I get my GH1...
 
the next cards will be SDXC and they can go up to 2TB !!!!!! , with many SD devices unable to use SDHC.. i wonder if our current SDHC machines will be able to understand SDXC... and if thats the case if a firmware update will resolve that...
 
Back
Top